Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tau Fire Warrior

This is actually the first model I've brought this close to completion in a couple of years, so I'm really trying to push it a little. For some reason xnormal hates me and max doesn't want to import my zbrush meshes so I decided to treat this as texturing practice.

I guess it's a very clean texture, I was thinking of dirtying it up but I'm not sure how that'd look. It's very monotonous - but the concept is monotonous so I can't do a lot about that really.

Also, not happy with the gloves right now at all, the monotonous thing is really annoying me there, I might remodel them so they're not flat, I have a few tris to spare (aiming for ~1500).

Any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks guys.

body2ph4.jpg

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i think its really decent
    u'r rendering lacks a light source. the face are lit from kinda above - then why isn't the upper rim of the neck-cloth collar edge gets hit by a light? its rendered with a completely different light source.

also the quality of the light that hits the face is different then in the other areas. i may be wrong - but the light seems to change (adds green?) hue to the face blue. if the light has color - it should effect similarly the rest of the texture, where it seems more dull

unless u r bound by evil magic to the concept, u dont have to stick with it. dirty it if u want, but lets not blame concept of incompetence wink.gif. i think it will look great -- make it great. i challenge u..

perhaps try and use more orange and yellow colors on the red stuff. = fire
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks shotgun, I'll definitely go over it again and work on the lightsource issue, I hadn't thought about that honestly.

About the dirtying up thing, I'm certainly not blaming the concept for me being crap, I just didn't know whether blemishes and scratches would help it or anything, could make it look more interesting I suppose.

As for colours, I think I could add some more colours into the dark brown cloth bits and maybe make the shading a little more saturated on the armour.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I think theres a 40 k trend going on now

but its looking pretty damn top notch right now, I cant wait to see this finished

what size is the texture sheet?
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. 512*512 for the body and 512*256 for the heads/weapons. And well, I've been a 40k nut for a long time. I know everyone makes 40k models, but why the hell not? tongue.gif
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a little carried away. Still haven't fixed a lot of the things you mentioned Shotgun, but rest assured, I've taken your crits into consideration, just got started on the legs and didn't want to stop. tongue.gif

body5wp5.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow this is coming out really good, any chance of seeing any blinky emitters attached to this guy like one of the dawn of war guys? smile.gif

Either case keep up the awesome work, , my only crit is, this guy looks still way to clean...I mean the armors should have more scratches and dinks to it, looks to sleek with 1 or 2 dirt patches.

But other than that the design is 100 % spot on
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    mayb its just me, but that last pic you posted wont show up! and im so curious!!!!
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, It's showing up for me but I'll upload it somewhere else.

Seforin, thanks. I was deliberating over whether or not to scratch it up a little, I think I'll give it a shot.

4tp14dc.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FOR THE GREATER GOOD!

this is coming out awesome, I suggest keeping 2 texture sheets a kinda clean one, and a kinda dirty one, so you can see which of the 2 you like more, or possibly 2 different units you can place on the same screen =p
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea, will do, going to work in Per's suggestions at the same time... No time right now though, freakin' work!
  • merlyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along fantastic, a little bit of wear and tear would not go a miss IMO so i am looking forward to seeing it with the scratches. Keep up the good work.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Try breaking up his panels with some slight color variation.

Here I've multipled a dark blue in 10%, 20%, and 30% patches over the paneling to keep it the same basic color scheme but help pop the shapes a little better.
    tauwarriorhh6.gif
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking of doing that, but it didn't really go with the concept other than changing certain panels to white to signify rank, I may still do it.

I dirtied it up a bit, changed the colours slightly to match the concept but I may stick with the more saturated look too.
    4l5yjp5.jpg

Edit: Think I'll stick with the more saturated yellows. 4m2fg5h.jpg
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Sweet model smile.gif
    Now stick it into Dawn of war smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Right now a lot of the dirt looks like the overlay that you used, most noticeably on the thigh armor. Overlays are good, but I think you should tone it down for more subtle variations and go in and paint the dirt and grime in logical locations.

It needs paint chips! chipping around the edges letting the silver metal beneath show through... that will go a long ways towards breaking up the plates and getting some color variation into all that same-ness.

Try giving a few of the panels the more desaturated look you played with. Yes, they're all the same color, but being the *exact* same color makes it pretty uninteresting to look at.

the brown cloth under the armor could use some loving. Right now it looks like you just used black to shade that one color of brown. there are no highlights, just shadows. Makes it all very muddy
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Sectaurs. Haven't been able to work on this due to PC problems, but I'll get back to it asap.