Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my 1st born and 1st real person head model.

spider2cool
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
This is alot of my firsts...my first born, my first specular map, my first bump map, and my first time modeling someone i know. C&C welcome.

glamor1xd6.jpg

I want to give credit for Eric Maslowski for his video tutorial on bump and spec mapping. good stuff anyone new to this stuff...those are some descent vids.

Replies

• dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i don't think you've spent enough time watching your daughters features.
    you might want to have a top/bottom shot as well of the head. helps with defining cheeks etc.
    too much specular, no detail around the eyes..
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey man, good start smile.gif I wouldnt call it done just yet though, keep analysing the shapes and comparing them to the model. overlaying in photoshop and flicking between the two helps a lot. The spec looks wrong to me, way too harsh I think, I'd be careful about trying to match a photo that was taken with flash
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Careful with the meshflow around the mouth.

Don't be scared to draw over the ref images to plot out your loops.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    rember that the photos are taken with perspective baked in them,, keep that in mind when modeling, thats the reason a lot of times models end up with ears too far along the back of the head, or squished in to the head to much, because of perspective tricks in photographs,
  • Bensart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice tip Rhino, Ive never modelled from a photo before but Im sure I will have to at some point and thats a very good point. I agree that the ears look way too far back. I think you should model the hair in aswell since there is quite a vast volume of it there. At the moment the hair just looks 'stuck on'.
    Also, Im assuming by the mesh flow that you used a mesh smooth on this. Try to stay away from that and only use it as a tool. Putting mesh smooth onto a model will not make it any better fundementally. It will just help to highlight the flaws. You need to concentrate on the eyes a bit more. They dont cure inwards. I find it helps if I have another reference model (one which i think is good) to refer to. I'm by no means the best modeller or texture artist but comparing my wireframes to someone work who, I think is of a high standard helps me to develop my work a lot.