Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

character

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Ferg polycounter lvl 17
I realized that nothing in my portfolio really shows that I can work in the "mainstream style" of next gen games, so I started this guy. Trying to get closer to the realistic badassery going on in games like gears of war and lost planet. I drew up the concept a bit more cartoonish that I wanted, but I liked the design enough to use it as a base anyway. Took some liberties with the armor to sex it up a bit too. Think he needs a helmet?

aztecawip2.jpg

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Proportions need work if you are going for something more realistic looking. Specifically, the head needs to be smaller.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think he needs a helmet, I really like the head the way it is with the flicky hair. It looks great.
    That aside, I'm going to have to agree with Ninjas about the proportions. But if you're just sticking to your concept and having it cartoony, then the model is spot on!

-caseyjones
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    Proportions need work if you are going for something more realistic looking. Specifically, the head needs to be smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either that, or he's really short! Otherwise, I like him even if he is a midget. Keep it up!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's off to a good start. I like the look on the concept of a jumpsuit with armor strapped to it. The concept reminds me more of Samurai armor and less like power armor, but on the model it goes the other way. I think you strayed too far away from the concept and lost some of its charm. It feels like you went for "standard power armor" in an effort to be "mainstream" and tossed the concept to the wind, after you modeled the head? Why opt to be generic when you have something different?

The thigh armor is attached to floating baggy pants. What happened to the straps? This is destroying the outer hard shell, inner soft body look of the concept. I actually think you de-sexified the armor by just extruding a few polys from the baggy pants.

Why change out the boots for something blah when you have something interesting on the concept?

You do know people on this forum who will cut you from asshole to earlobes for using the words "Next Ge... I can't say it. Maybe that was your rouse to drag people in here?

Long story short: Bring back the straps, make the pants and armor effected by gravity and avoid the urge to make your character "mainstream" by encasing them in power armor, especially when your concept does not call for it.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the crits, they helped a lot. I took a long look at his proportions and decided I'm going to try and make the large head work. If he ends up looking goofy, I can scale it down without having to redo much, if anything, in the normal map.

I added straps and some extra baggy detail to the pants. I also updated the arm guards, trying to make them more interesting. His body still seems like it needs something, either around the waist or upper arms, maybe both. The body is still wip, but the head was done so I threw together a head sculpt in mudbox. That's the high poly in the pic by the way, not a normal map. The hair may change too, alpha planes could replace the solid hair clods, depending on how well I can make it work once the color and spec are in.

aztecawip3.jpg
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    i love the face but i dont think you will need to change to alpha planes for the hair.Leave it as it is,it will look good
  • dj snyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dj snyder polycounter lvl 14
    It looks good, but the costume design definitely seems more corny than realistic to my eyes
  • Naked Templar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its either the arms being too long or the legs being to short but im pretty sure something, thats not working proportionally wise. and the costume needs work like 'dj' said.
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    The proportions are really wacky. You could must have been working on too many cartoon characters. smile.gif

Are you sure you have your monitor scale properly for your resolution.
    I could be wrong but, the head looks to thick from the front and side view for that height and the diameter/thickness of the arms are too big, but could be the right length.

He is corny, but looking interesting.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    aah I think its the mid section of the body that is too short and thin, his limbs seem quite long in comparison, good work so far...it is like the concept sketch though if you keep these proportions