Home General Discussion

Portfolio and Interview questions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
Yet another in the millions of these threads, but addressing a couple of things I haven't seen asked before.

First, portfolio organizaion. While "neat", "easy to navigate" etc are musts, when you have skills across a range of areas, from textures, animation, programming, etc, what is the best way to organize things?
Most portfolios I have seen have sections for 2d, 3d, traditional, and a resume/contact page.
Would it be better to organize one's assets according to specification? Having sections for Characters, Vehicles, Concepts, Environment, and any other relevant specialization?
Just like to hear your thoughts on this, as organizing my site has always been a strugle for me. Every time I "improve" it, it still feels clunkier than I'd like.

Secondly:
When that call comes from a studio who wants to interview you on site, would it be terribly gauche, or otherwise out of line to ask them if they can pay/help pay for your transportation expenses to their site?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    most companies, unless they are local, pay for transportation. As in, cab fare, plane tickets, etc.

When going to an interview, have your portfolio organized based on the position you're applying for. There's a good chance they'll go over your portfolio/resume with you, so it's best to not have them stumble around a poorly laid out site feature skills you're not applying for.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have not had a website for about 3 years now and instead just send lots of jpegs of my best works . Seems to have worked well for me recently. I then take a cd to interviews , showing a bit more work, inlcuding some older stuff. Obviously this gives me something to talk about during the interview, other than them dissecting my personality:)