Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

John Candy

thnom
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
thnom polycounter lvl 18
Been a while since I've posted much of anything recently but I recently decided to bring Candy back to life, or thats the plan anyway (model -> skin -> rig -> animate to sound clips).

This is Candy from Uncle Buck. I am currently really happy with the profile, but the front is still lacking something, if anyone has a clue what "it" is, do share. I've UV'd him up, and am going to embark on the scan later tonight (I've made the template photosource base smile.gif).

Progress shots can be seen here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/thnom/johncandy/

The latest shot: (I know the eyes are fucked! - as are the teeth ALL TEMP)

candy5.jpg
Wireframe: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/thnom/johncandy/candy5-wire.jpg
Texture sheet (temp!, UV Layout is final though): http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/thnom/johncandy/candy5tex.jpg

C+C welcome..

PS Mop, I know its not an 'original' piece, but hey - its still doing something..

Replies

• nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Ha that's looking great! You really captured some candyness. btw do you know what happened to the head resource link in your sig? I really liked it and puff, next day it's gone. Looking forward to seing this done.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    nkoste: thanks, the old site is up here - but I don't have FTP access thats why it moved. Dunno when it will be backup tbh, so here's the old link: http://thnom.tehunlose.com/model_resource/
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Looks just like him. laugh.gif A few seams here and there, but it's pretty much perfect.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    His eyelids are a little off, but otherwise, really close. John Candy was one of my favorite comedians.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmmmm it looks decently like him but I would really do a side by side with a photo like this:
    Candy.jpg

I think this piece's main strength is the well done photo use as a texture, but your facial structure is off in several places, eyebrow arch, forehead shape, nose, etc.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I think you have some points ebagg but that photo is a bad choice. It's him a lot younger and skinnier than he was in Uncle Buck, he's also smiling. The eyes are the weak point at the moment and I plan to re-work them some. Thanks for the crits and comments guys, appreciate it.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I wasn't posting the photo to say it's the perfect photo for what you're aiming for, I was posting merely to point out the differences in facial proportions between your model and him. He wasn't too old when he died so his nose, forehead and such weren't too far off from that photo.... perhaps this is more what you were aiming for?

candy2.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks recognisable man, I do think the shape of the nose is a bit off and the brow is pretty straight. The temp teeth don't seem in the right position but they're temp right? smile.gif.
    Good job to get a likeness though that in itself is tough!
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Other than the shape of the nose, I'd say it's pretty damn close. The pic with the lines is a bad photo to compare with, as he is smiling, and his mouth is closed. The profile shot, is *spot on* and instantly recognizable.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Ok guys, first job fix the nose:

candynose.jpg
    Profile shot here: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/thnom/johncandy/candynose2.jpg - editted, whoops linked to same image.

This better matches the shots I have and what you guys have shown, thoughts?

By the way, what do you guys mean when you say "the brows a bit straight"?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    think they mean that there is no arch in the brows, making him a look a bit meaner than he is(was). I think the nose needs to be lengthened a little too
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah the model looks ok actually, either the uvs or the texture is making his eyebrows look straight when they should curve a bit
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    candybrows.jpg

Are these better? I actually saw what you mean rooster as soon as I read it.. he looks evil when bigger people in general have a softer appeal about them, and in Candy - the eyebrows are key. The eyes are still off-putting in that area, but I think the eyebrows are now fine.

Now onto seeing if its the eyes geometry or the texture thats the problem. Then the teeth, and when I get back from my holiday (go to magaluff on saturday for 10 days) I'll start the proper skin.. (I don't plan on using the photosourced skin).
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    Come on, now you have to make Aldonna.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    He looks more like a young John Madden wink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    not bad thnom, main area to focus on is still the eyes, they look mad and staring
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    candyneweyes.jpg
    Wireframe of above here: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/thnom/johncandy/candyneweyes2.jpg

Fixed the eye mesh (brought the eye lids lower down) and cut the eyes in half (giving them more texture space, no back half). They now look much better IMO. I also added (although you can't see a damn thing) an extra row of vertices so when he blinks they'll actually wrap around the eyes - also fixing the eye UVs - I hadn't noticed before but they overlapped over the eyelids, now they are inside.

I also changed the teeth texture and made the lower teeth slightly further back (they were intersecting the "back" top teeth). This also has the happier-candy eyebrows from earlier wink.gif
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Hi there,

I just have a few short crits.

I think his forhead is too small. His hairline doesn't receed nearly enough.

His nose is too fat towards the end. he has a pretty streight nose... sexy, even. Your head's nose is too curvy.

John's features are more like your chartoon character fat guy features. Bubble cheaks and nose, he looks so happy all the time. Your characters cheaks are too flat, and his chin doesn't pop out nearly enough... Perhaps this is because your neck-fat is flush with the cheaks. If you bring in the double chin on the sides make his head look more like an upside down egg, then i think that'll help. Also, make his cheaks POP! those suckers are full of life and love in john's photo.

Thinking about it... your head looks more like john maden.

Good luck, hope this helps.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    He does need a larger forehead, I see the problem now.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    he seems too fat atm. I dont remember him ever being quite this fat in any of his movies.