Home General Discussion

Hack together a Cintiq...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Illusions polycounter lvl 18
Ok. So I got bored recently, and went "I wonder what would happen if I stuck my Intuos 3 behind my laptop monitor?", so I did. And it worked...somewhat. What kept it from working perfectly is that my monitor is 15", and the Intuos is a 6"x8", or the equivalent of a 10" monitor. So, I did some math, and found it would take a 9"x12" Intous to fit a 15" monitor. Then I started thinking some more...would it be possible to hack together a Cintiq, for less than the cost of the Cintiq itself? Would it even be worth the effort? I'm going to study the matter further...but I thought it'd be an interesting question, or idea.

Replies

• PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    wow, that's very MacGyver of you... Sounds like a pretty sweet idea though!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the only main problem you would have would be lining it up perfectly, but you could probablly use the remaping stuff to fix that..... posibly
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that's a great idea. laugh.gif

It doesn't wreck your monitor to be using the stylus on it at all? And how does the pen pressure work?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    pen pressure is monitored from the pen, not the tablet*

*guess
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Man! Great idea... wouldn't the price of a decent enough laptop with a thin enough monitor and a 9x12 tablet be the same or more than a Cintiq?
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Tablet 9x12 $500 LCD monitor $500 = 1000 VS Cintiq 17 $1800

You could use a thin piece of pexiglass so you don't scratch/damage the actual monitor. Or a custom cut piece of glass.

Defintily would need to fabricate a new case for the labtop if you were tote it around :P
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I have a Cintiq 21UX(2500$) and its not even a built in computer (like a laptop would be). To be honest, Im not quite sure I like it. I got a unit with a couple minor defects, so I'll be sending it back for an exchange but still... its a little odd and the screen quality isnt as good as one would hope. (sorta poor viewing angle & color accuracy)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, one of the other artists at work has one. After playing around with it, I don't see any real advantage to drawing on a screen and you do have to be pretty much directly above it otherwise the colours distort which is annoying and can lead to a sore back and neck if you haven't found an ideal position to place your tablet. I'd say Unless you really can't get your head around looking at your monitor while drawing on a tablet, its not worth the cost.

Now if it was a tablet PC that you could play with Photoshop and ZBrush on the train with, that'd be a different story.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I've had one at work for the last few months. I wasn't sure I liked it at first but it turned out I just needed to practice. It's way better than a normal tablet. It's hard to go back to the intuos when I'm scribbling something at home.
  • LAGtheNoggin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LAGtheNoggin polycounter lvl 17
    Blimey, that's ambitious! If you can do it you'll be a God amongst hackers.

I tried researching these tablets myself, Wikipedia told me they were powered by pixies...

- Good luck!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow, that's a great idea. laugh.gif

It doesn't wreck your monitor to be using the stylus on it at all? And how does the pen pressure work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually...it does. Which is why I'm still sticking to the ole pen on tablet way of working for now. But yeah I won't be throwing one together personally anytime soon, since I'm a student and all without a full time job >_<. Just wondering about the possibilities of it. I'm pretty sure you could get one really ugly looking Cintiq like contraption put together, and it would probably function just as well as the Cintiq.