Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

speed modeling practice

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Well, figured I should stop flooding the "so what are you working on" thread with my speed models. I intend to do a few a night. I need to improve my texturing skills, increase modeling speed and eventually get a nice environmental portfolio together (to submit to Mythic!)

Chris Holden challenged me to a speed modeling contest, a burnt out campfire in an hour:
campfire.jpg

Didn't really pay attention to how long I spent on this, I was watching tv at the time:
lantern01.jpg

About an hour was spent on this:
chop.jpg

I know, I should be focusing on environmental stuff but I couldn't resist! 30 minutes:
head01.jpg

Replies

• Dark Sepiroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dark Sepiroth polycounter lvl 17
    nice idea to do that. I haven't really tried to model as fast as possible. I think i'll do that too.

from these models I like the lantern the most.
    it has a nice style. did you do anything special to it in max?
    or is it all fast texturing. Maybe that you baked your shading or something
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I baked the lighting on the lantern and then painted over that for more natural looking lighting. I'm using Maya so I had to render the lantern out to for the alpha mapped chain to show up correctly. I started doing another head today but I ended up goofing around with it in zbrush linky
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    an axe, ugh, I'm feeling very sluggish
    axe01.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    axe02.jpg
    argh, it's getting hard to stay focused and go for speed, I've been spending too much time fiddling with this

I'm going to focus on something I planned to do this Monday but I didn't get around to, creating speed models that will all go into a single scene. My goal for Monday the 27th is to have a complete alchemists lab
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bottle01.jpg
    I baked the texture into the bottle as a base to go from but it turned out that it looked fine with minimal tweaking.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool man, personally I would have maybe tried one less vertical edgeloop and added a horizontal to round out the sphere more, but I like what you're doing here
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you're right, I whipped one up pretty quick and it helps out, I'll come back to the bottle later, I'm going to try and do an environment map for the glass so I'll probably be redoing the uv's anyway. I want to move on to another model right now to stay fresh. smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these pots all share the same texture, I'm going to make a few more shape variations, then a few texture variations, these will be all over the place
    pots02.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crap, falling into a slump again, did some fiddling to try and lift my spirits back up
    bunchapots.jpg
    I think I'm going to try a bust just to get rid of these blues
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    How about some crazy Red and Black figure Greek stuff: Wars, Sailing, Olympics? Or is the res on those textures super-low?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    thats a lot of pots eh?

how about a kiln or something? tools to fire pots and so on
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    hey justin, any idea of how i would bake the texture in 3dsmax? im trying to make a bottle just like urs...
    manapotion.jpg
    thanks! and make more stuff!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I'm not sure how to do it in Max, In Maya I go to batch bake(mental ray) and set the color mode to "fully lit and shaded" so I could not only bake the lighting but the shiny phong texture.

Oh yeah, I got Oblivion, I gotta stop playing!!!
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    Steady. Just set up all your materials and lighting. Then just hit "0" to bring up render to texture. You can then choose if you want to render out the base texture, lighting, normals, etc.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, cool stuff, it looks like fun smile.gif I think that you could make these really badass tho if you put some decent texture detail into them. the pots are a good example- they really dont have any sort of location specific detail. it would look better to add some cracks, dirt or dust on the base, and maybe some stains from stuff that's poured down over the side. isntead of just pots, it would be AWESOME if it was an old pot with a half broken lid, abandoned by a refuge, laying half in the mud, with what ever was in it staining the side as it ran down the side of the pot. right now there's no real story behind any of this so it's slightly.. generic. it's a fun exersize to come up with a story for what ever you're making. i'm still having a tough time doing this with my work but it's REALLY hellpful.

another thing that might help you (and something i'm still learning from my friend) is that if you want to describe something, it helps to have small, medium, and large details to describe what you're trying to describe. right now that candle is too simple because it's missing the small details on the wax part, i'd say. if you look at the candles in oblivion close up (they're pretty damn nice) they've got little wax groves and such running down them, which i think you totally have the texture space for, if you wanted to.

keep at her dude smile.gif