Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - Richard Kain

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
I want in. I've been out of this too long, and I'm itching for some challenging modelling. CGChat must fall.

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I've got an initial concept.

concept.gif

Naturally, this concept is just about 90% pure crap. So I took the basics from it and made a more refined, stylistic interpretation.

forgemaster01.gif

Still quite a bit rough around the edges, but better. Can anyone critique this chubby fellow for me? My concept at the moment is for the character to be a Forge Master. A blacksmith who specializes in swiftly outfitting front-line soldiers with armor and blades, and making impromptu repairs to equipment. I tried to make it look like he is carrying an anvil on his back that is chained to his short sword. He also has a forge hammer strapped back there, and a pair of tongs hanging from his belt.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Nice lines Richard, but the general is supposed to be from 3006 so tech him up!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, this is a nice start, but I agree with Ramucho, he looks like he's from the past, not the future! Give him some 3006-gear...

Nice use of the polycount emblem around his chest smile.gif
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are absolutely right. I love the idea of a big fat guy going around with a huge anvil on his back, and I think it could work for this challenge. But this current concept nees a little "futureizing" if its going to fit with the challenge theme. First thing to do, give that fellow some boots. In 3006, you just know its wrong to walk around in bare feet. Also, the belt needs to be replaced with a segmented belt with some sort of electronic lock for a buckle. Then perhaps one of his arms could be made mechanical, it would allow for some interesting armor around his shoulder.
  • stupid fool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stupid fool polycounter lvl 17
    Actually, I don't think this concept is far off - yes, it takes place in 3006, but the description also says, "have exhausted all but there most mundane weapons.."

It's not too far off to assume that a planet ravaged by war for 100 years has no factories, no weapon plants, and ... no shoe stores!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah but if he can make himself a sword and buckler he can probably make himself a pair of boots, or at least whoever made the straps and scabbard could.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps he's a hippie who prefers to walk barefoot?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really appreciate all the kind comments about this guy. Unfortunately, I've decided not to use him for this contest. I've gone around to all the other developing models, and I just don't think he is enough in keeping with the theme of the competition. Even if I altered him, it just wouldn't be the right fit. So I'll put him on the back-burner for now, and start from scratch. Here's the new idea I've come up with.

concept_robot1.gif

I've noticed that most of the generals being developed are very much combat-ready. In the interests of militaristic diversity, I've made a concept for a brain-jar general who would be in command of a military intelligence division. I like the skull motif, it helps him look malevolent. But I'm not entirely satisfied with my interpretation. If anyone else wants to take a stab at drawing additional reference for this general idea, I'd appreciate the help.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work! I'll admit mine's "Combat Ready", but he does his best work behind the scenes at an interplanetary Gulag, as Chief Inquisitor. Maybe he and your General work together and such?

BTW, love the little floating brain we can see inside the 'head'. laugh.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    nice concept dude, it's so hardcore oldschool bad to the bone ish, i like. i'd make him have a larger body, almost round - something heavy like an anvil to make him more menacing and powerful looking.