Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer 40.000 Stuff

Mit Gas
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
Just thought I'd post some of my stuff here once again. It's going into Dawn of War. While this is MOD work, we have some pretty cool stuff like Hollywood voiceactors and that kind of stuff. We've got for instance Corey Burton, knowsn for Count Dooku in Clone Wars or Shockwave, Brawn, Spike, Tomax and others in Transformers G1 and G.I.Joe or Mike McConnohie, known for Warcraft III and TFs G1 and G.I.Joe as well. We've also got really awesome animators like a firend of KMan, totally kickass guy. Name's e-x. smile.gif

Dale North is doing a soundtrack for us, he's extremely good as well.

Anyways, to the pics.

22970_1.jpg

Basic Rubric Marines, they're multipart. All models are by MrD if not stated otherwise. Here are some of the newer textures:

22970_2.jpg

WIP: frown.gif (modeled by NRD80Y)

dreadwip.jpg

WIP: frown.gif

22970_4.jpg

VERY WIP: frown.gif

22970_3.jpg

Needs a few touchups:

almost.jpg

Got some other stuff but who knows how much interest this will get. In case you like what you're seeing, we're searching for a good skinner, modeler and animator, basically everything you can imagine. I hope someone might be interested, a second skinner wouldn't hurt....like at all! smile.gif

Replies

• El_PIG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff! Does the Mod have a webpage?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Niiice! Can't wait to see the Terminator finished, they always look really awesome. Any chance of a full body shot? smile.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Mit Gas

all i can say is..post the rest of the damn images smile.gif.

Seriously this is some kick arse work,and although i have an intrest in the warhammer40K world im by no means uptodate with it

I love the exagerationg in the bullet holes and genral damage...its does really scream Warhammer with the big badass weapons.

I think you could flake the paint more along hard edges as in places it looks to good alongside the rest of that damage you have.

Great stuff though.

John
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing stuff! It makes me want to go back and update all my 40K stuff... must resist... must work... on new stuff...
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Really great stuff smile.gif
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    T3H W1N!
    A week ago i was searching for something and i stumbled upon 2 of your other warhammer 40000k posts.
    I added them to my favorites too.
    This stuff is fantastic...skinning tutorial would rock.
    Do you have a website with all this stuff or atleast information about this mod?
    Oh and birds don't have teeth
    smirk.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow! your texturing is outstanding! Its even better than whats in the game. hehe
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This one has teeth, at least in all the art of it. smile.gif

The URL of our forums is: http://joust3d.com/forums/

Lots of off-topicness though and no gallery or anything!

wallpaper.jpg

About the terminator:

First two animations done by e-x. The Thousand Sons are basically a legion of ghost-marines, lead by mighty sorcerers. Just to explain the mindless look of the animations.

termmelee16kq.gif

termmelee20ed.gif

Picture of the terminator for MoP (excuse the skin for now, being the only skinner on the MOD and having a shitload to do for university doesn't make it easy to finish more stuff!) :

mopterm.jpg

Dieing F/X (since they are ghosts, their souls escape)

thousandand3.jpg

thousandand5.jpg

thousandand1.jpg

army painter compatibility.

flamer1.jpg

demons called flamers. smile.gif

helmetwip.jpg
    BIG WIP of the Leader unit. smile.gif

well, well, that's about everything i found right now. smile.gif although we do have other stuff as well.

WE'RE SILL SEARCHING FOR A GOOD TEXTURE ARTIST OR F/X ARTIST, as well as modeler and animators. cough.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The new pimped stuff looks stunning, and I had to say that.

I wish I could help you guys out with what you need with models and textures, but time for me is a precious thing these days. I work all day and the lst thing I want to do at night is work some more.

I just hoped that you might appreciate that your work is admired by many out there, and that as a mod the quality level is beyond many game developers and industry artists.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    Kickass stuff mitgas. Really nice! Is your brother working on this project as well? Keep it up guys smile.gif
    I wish somebody would start a Warhammer Fantasy project =]
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff, even on this dying projector I can see the oozing quality smile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    new undies plz kthx =X
  • `kungfubilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    `kungfubilly polycounter lvl 18
    Those things were beautiful when you posted before and they're still gorgeous...I'm more of a nurgle fan for chaos but those units would make any tzeentch lord of change proud.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Warhammer Stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to post those... blush.gif Thanks!

Here are some more:
    termmelee33ki.gif

termrun21xo.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Heya Mit. I was thinkin that I may be able to do some more help with doing the fx. Since it was going to get sticky doing models and such, this would be more open territory as far as me working on similar/competing product type stuff.

Let me know man.

FYI- KMan is dead. I bursted out of his chest earlier this week.
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyMonkey polycounter lvl 17
    Rock'n work. Glad to see someone doing this.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Those animations are cool, e_x!
    Thanks for the full body shot, Mit Gas, it's looking very good smile.gif
    Personally I think the Terminator with the human head (no helmet), has a head which is quite a big too big... compare it with the size of the helmet, there's no way that helmet would fit over such a big head.
    Check out this image, compare the height of his head - it's about 2/3 the size.
    Also a smaller head would make the terminator armour look more bulky and menacing, like it does in the models.

Sweet work everywhere else though, keep it up! smile.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    was just gonna say that the head is too big, other than that, everything looks great.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    The animations are great, very zombielike. So are the skins. Interesting project you've got there, can't wait to see more
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, thank you everyone. Getting such feedback is good for the ego. ;D

Jelmer, MrD modelled all those guys except for the dreadnought. So yeah, he did a lot of work on the MOD.

There are currently two Warhammer projects in the making from what I know. But not MODs, mind you.

kungfubilly, repent for your sins and join the true chaos god! You see, nurgle gives you warts, tzeentch gives you wicked sorcery! Working for him might pay off - or you'll become a mewling spawn.

Np, e-x. I think the quality of your work speaks for itself. In fact, it's so kick ass I begged e-x on my knees to rework the rubric marines as well. laugh.gif

Xenobond, that's a nice offer. We could definitely need someone who knows how to do cool F/X effects. The problem is, I've never worked on F/X effects and don't know what you'll need. Check your PMs. smile.gif

KMan would be proud of you, he's the father of the first civilized alien that even wears a smoking.

MoP, SF: Yup, I see what you mean. I have no clue if it's change to change that now without messing the animations up, I'll ask e-x. If it isn't, we won't change it though as I don't want to give e-x more work than he already has to do.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Mit - is the team in need of a texture artist or environment modeller? I have some time to lend a hand if its needed.
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definitely, adam.

We actually wanted to include a set of new terrain/buildings with the mod so that we can offer cool maps as well with unique buildings if you're into enviromental stuff - I guess you know the gothic style of 40k a bit so that you can imagine what sort of buildings we're after - although ours would be kinda egyptian in their theme. However we also need more buildings for the MOD itself, you know like armories and what not that give access to new abilites or units.

The problem is there are no concepts - GW never made any buildings for the TS we're portraying. However if you like the artistical freedom but also difficulty that comes with it, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. We could also base the buildings on relic's space marine stuff and simply evolve it. smile.gif

tell me what you think. smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think you should e-mail me wink.gif
    adambromell [at] gmail.com

I'm also on MSN stormvermin72 [at] hotmail.com
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Hey mit, good to see your still chugging along on that mod. Id throw my help your way but i already started my own thing. Great stuff as always.

shit it just pointed out that its my birthday....
  • razialx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razialx polycounter lvl 17
    These models are just amazing.

I love WH40k, and you have captured it perfectly.

The only crit is a nit-pick comment on that head.
    Fluff-wise, unless he is a sorcerer, he would have no head, or body really. Hollow armor animated by the spirit trapped inside (since the Ruberic of Ahriman) If he is a Sorcerer(Psycher) he would still have his body, as they were the only ones spared the Ruberic, but if he was a sorcerer then he wouldn't be shambling.

Again, me being a douch bag, but just had to throw that in there. Otherwise, the best 40k mod work I have seen ever!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    fuck yah!

great to see stuff from ya again smile.gif this looks like a badass project, dawn of war rules.

have you tried getting really fugly looking colors in the army painter? a friend of mine has his fruity scheme that is infuriating to lose to (bright yellow, green, pink, and blue).

i kinda agree with Raz... can you do shader / fx stuff instead of faces, to further emphasize the spirt stuff, instead of having human faces?
  • Timex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam, expect a mail soon. smile.gif Had a lot of stuff to do the last two days (worked for 20 hours nonstop, that's my new personal record)so i couldn't write you sooner, sorry.

TGZ, cool project, such good old NES-like games must be fun to work with. Albeit I did offer you a job months ago. wink.gif

Razial, he is indeed a sorcerer hence why he's still human and not just a spirit. We wanted to show that not all followers of Chaos are ugly monsters (like those featured in the game already) underneath their armor but that some are like twisted noblemen kinda like Count Dooku was.

So many people asked about it, this particular thing even made it into the FAQ. wink.gif

Apart from that, we have nobody on the team that knows how to do F/X effects like the one you've mentioned.

moose, we've tested them in the army painter which resulted in a special branch of Thousand Sons Chaos Space Marines called "Ahriman's Loverboys" who've got an unhealthy amount of pink on them.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    these screenshots and animations are incredible.....!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    mit i remember no such thing...clears memory...

Nab me on one of the IM programs. I'll show you what i'm talking about.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I see some very tasty stuff here! The only crit i have is that this looks a little strange. I mean, for such a heavy hammer it comes to a very sudden stop in that swing. It makes it look a bit like a nerf hammer that weighs nothing.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the tactical dreadnaught (AKA: Terminator) armour, that he is encased in, is fully powered, and very much capable of inhuman feats of strength, and control, while at the same time not being at all slow or sluggish.

the thing is powered by a nuclear fusion reactor btw.
  • Mr GetDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr GetDown polycounter lvl 18
    I love this stuff. With the details in there, it's easily good enough to be a top fps.
    Can wait for you mod.

I want to find out more about the mod, but the joust3d.com site seems to be dead!
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I love this stuff. With the details in there, it's easily good enough to be a top fps.
    Can wait for you mod.

I want to find out more about the mod, but the joust3d.com site seems to be dead!

[/ QUOTE ]

URL changed, go here

http://www.thousand-sons.com/
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Tis is all very cool. What are the poly counts used in this game? i remember playing the demo of dow and the models look higher poly than your standard rts.

Im realy loving just hte simple walk animation with the guy in the sword. Its very good along with the cloth swaying nicely.
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    about 2000 for a normal unit and up to 4000+ for special units. to keep you updated, we've got voiceacting done by the VAs of Optimus Prime, Shockwave, Count dooku (Clone wars, the sw games) and a few other pros. smile.gif
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Count dooku is awesome, he looks and sounds so evil good choice wink.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    good good stuff, thanks for sharing. i'd love to see that ghost-escaping death anim in-game smile.gif
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words - gauss, we'd really need a few concepts for the buildings of the race, just very quick ones (we aren't creative minds it seems) - would you maybe be interested? smile.gif
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    Hello everybody. I´ve been around every now and then but mostly as a silent spectator. Also I don´t have as much time for this stuff as I used to. :/

About teh concepts. Well, it´s not that we completely lack creativity but after trying to stick as close to existing minatures as possible (which is hard- I don´t always like the Warhammer stuff. Especially the proportions drive you crazy- there is a reason why their minatures are rigid) I kinda don´t know how I am to come up with original stuff that doesn´t look out of place.

So if indeed anybody felt like doing some conceptual work that would be appreciated. I made some buildings a while ago but I didn´t like them much so we decided to go back and make new ones. The design didn´t fit the thousand sons so well after all.
    Old buildings
    daemonpit2.jpg
    powergenerator.jpg
    sacrificialcircle3.jpg
    temple.jpg

New concept for a building (you don´t wnat to see my drawings- so it´s 3d):
    machinealtar.jpg

Some screens of the models I made for the mod:

flamer2.jpg
    group.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That stuff all looks great, Dominik. Very impressive!
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    The buildings all look really good, their designs are very solid and seem like they would fit right in with the Thousand Sons source material. I would assume that the last building there is the Machine Pit.

Also is that Lord of Change the actual size compared to the characters around it? If so it could do with some enlarging to make it as imposing as the other super units in Dawn of War.
  • MackXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MackXX polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the way the Power Generator looks
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    loving those models. did you model the sorcerer lord around the ahriman character? he was always my favorite chaos sorcerer model =]
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the nice words

@steakhouse: If we don´t come up with better designs we´ll have to use these smile.gif The Lord of Chance is likely to be bigger ingame. A tad smaller than the bloodthirster I think but the final size gets decided by someone else.

@almighty_gir: yes, but we don´t call him Ahriman since he is unique and you don´t want to have five of them around when playing in multiplayer mode. However we decided to use that popular design.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    great work guys laugh.gif
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    "Better Designs"? What are you talking about these are rock solid!
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that's solid work!