Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maybach 57 model

HAWK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HAWK polycounter lvl 18
Hi there,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on the direction of this model I am working on. Could you please tell me if the shape of the car is looking ok so far? At the moment I am just working on the front before I start working on the back. The car I am modelling is the Maybach 57.

Thanks for whatever input you can give.

MaybachWIP02.jpg

Replies

• JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    Well I think, and hope you just rotoscoped the shape from reference pictures or blue prints, so that would really be the main thing that will bug you. What polycount are you aiming for?
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
    What do you mean by rotoscoped? Anyway, yes I am using blueprints and stuff, but it gets a little annoying to use with so many lines and stuff so my eyes get a little wonkered, so it is always nice to get a second pair of eyes to point out things that I may not be taking into consideration. Furthermore, I am aiming for a mid-poly range. So it ok for now?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Rotoscoping: To paint, draw or overlay images onto frames in a movie. basically a background image you used to align the points and such to the reference pics.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    XSI has a rotoscope mode for putting background images or movies in the viewport background. In 3dsmax it's just called viewport background. For car modelling you are better off mapping your blueprints onto planes, that way they scale when you zoom in and out. 3dsmax allows you to lock the zoom but I does not work so well.

If you tell me exactly what you plan to do with this model then I can give you some focussed crits. You say medium poly, are you aiming for nextgen specs or just one level of subdivision?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    although I think it does mainly refer to drawing over several frames, extracting movement from the source footage. Traced is probably more accurate. Sorry to split hairs tongue.gif
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    XSI has a rotoscope mode for putting background images or movies in the viewport background. In 3dsmax it's just called viewport background. For car modelling you are better off mapping your blueprints onto planes, that way they scale when you zoom in and out. 3dsmax allows you to lock the zoom but I does not work so well.

If you tell me exactly what you plan to do with this model then I can give you some focussed crits. You say medium poly, are you aiming for nextgen specs or just one level of subdivision?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am just doing one level of sub-division
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Yo neal, mind showin that off? I've done the 'mapping to planes' bit for all my vehicle models but would like to see alternative methods.

Hawk, vehicle's lookin slick so far. A a few more edges to round it out and it could drop right into UT2k4 no problem.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Flaagan: You can go to your viewport display mode button at the top of any viewport, go down to rotoscope and check it on. Then just choose your image. Be careful to always set it to image pixel ratio as camera pixel ratio leaves your image distorted. I wouldn't recommend using this mode as a substitute for blueprints mapped on planes but it is very helpful when modelling. It's great when you can see your ref right there in the viewport. I use it a lot for checking proportions when I get nothing but photos to work from, you can also match the camera's field of view to that of the image. It's really like a bonus over using just orthographics and ref on your second monitor say.

HAWK: Overall the shape looks quite good. You are alredy forming triangles here and there, try to avoid that by making your edge loops continous. That said, try also to avoid ending up with too many edge loops or the base cage will become difficult to control and you will end up with lumps in your model. Another general tip is to avoid having loops very close together on a large flowing curve. For example, that double edge leading off the front smaller vent in the bumper. Spreading them as evenly as possible will give you the best possible subdivision result. Hope that helps, the shape is quite good so far but the mesh could use some improvements smile.gif
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
    Here is an update of my car.

MaybachWIP01.jpg