Home Technical Talk

Need help with High Poly madness!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
Hey everyone, I am starting to try some high poly modelling for use as normal maps, and I have been having some problems. The main thing is I can't find any tutorials on how to deal with the inside of a mouth on a high poly.

Should I just make a low poly with no inner mouth, create the high poly from that, then go back in afterwards and add in the mouth or something? Please help! Thanks.

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    we're going to get this into 2D/3D discussion where you can get some assistance. =]
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, what exactly is the problem? You would just make a simply cavity no? I tend to just make a mouth bag, then add teeth and gums as seperate objects. Does that help any, or am I missing something?

http://home.comcast.net/~dpattenden/images/mouth.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    not sure what you are looking for specifically, you stated your question in an odd way.

if you are having problems with baking normal maps for a mouth, life would be easier if you were to detatch pieces, bake the normal maps for those pieces individually, reattach the pieces into one mesh, and composite your normal map images into one.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you dont need to detach anything, just move it(high and low) out of the mouth so the rays dont render over eachother and then move it back when its done. Detatching would be a waste of time meng, you would only do that if you wanted a seperate image map for the mouth.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    bearkub: Thanks, wasn't sure where to post this!

Thanks for the replies, everyone, sorry it was worded so strangely; it was late :P I was having some problems with smoothing and whatnot going from the inner mouth to the face, but I fixed that.

Daz: I really appreciate the pic, I thought that's how it should be done but I wasn't sure.

Thanks to everyone for your help, and again I'm sorry that it was such a strangely worded question (looking at it again, I'm not even sure what the question was supposed to be :P) I'll let you know if I have any more problems.