Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[wip] centibaby: cut-out display

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
how's everybody doing? good? cool..

so, uh, for those that knew me and wonder what i've been up to: i haven't been doing much of anything! i have one quarter left; graduating december and things are pretty good for me.

i am currently producing the least amount of artwork i ever have during my entire aipx life-time feeling pretty tired, drained, and unmotivated - that whole thing and just finding strength to do the school thing. what better than having to work on giagantic poster-sized digital painting!?
babyhorrorcolor4.jpg

this one will meet its end. i have yet to paint it's hair and insect legs and fine polish it. it's for an assignment and scheduled to be printed .. the begining of next week. we are being pushed to make cut-outs for our portfolio presentations, surprisingly enough, that is what it's for. it's at 300 dpi and is around 40 inches tall - it takes about 3 minutes to save. i'm thinking i could get away with a much lower dpi for the cut-out, i may trade some resolution for size, who knows.

i've received some comments regarding the lack of symmetry in his face. it does look funny but i'm not sure where i'll end up going with it.

reading received criticism online is funny; some people say something is too big, another will say it's too small .. so don't be offended if you feel your comments are being ignored by me, i read and consider them if you're looking to comment.

thanks

Replies

• -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome man! But I had a dream about chuckey last night so it scares me =/. His fore head and the top of his head look to tall, and i think his ears are lopsided
    they should also be higher from what it looks like, Other than that, nice jorb!
  • El_PIG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    Looking awesome Cory, what's the story behind the chest-carving you added?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    someone walked up behind me and said i should put a heart on him and i jokingly scribbled one on his chest; i hate/like it, but decided, "oh it's stay'n, don't know why, but it is!"
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good!

You can easily go to 150 dpi--there's really no reason to do 300 for a large image standee. Hi-res's like 300 are good if you've got fine text that needs to be read or it's going to be printed in a magazine and examined up close, but barring that, it makes more sense to go 150. The difference will be negligable and you can stay at your original print size.

If he's gonna be 40" tall, then 40" x 150 = 6000px tall. If you're working @ 300 and are at 12000px tall, well, that's impressive. smile.gif Of course, at that rez you can also do an 80" print out @ 150 if you'd like it monster size. Or you can print at billboard resolution (75 dpi) and get a nice 12' banner. Just wheat-paste it to the outside of the building. smile.gif
  • nreynolds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nreynolds polycounter lvl 18
    looking awesome, concerning the cut out if he is going to be mounted on foam core and then cut out the hair is going to give you some gruff. i say stay on the side of bigger smoother shapes with the sillouette that you are going to cut out.

i say stick with 300 dpi printed on photo paper, people coming up to your booth will cream. Although you'll have to see if the place you're printing at charges for the amount of time it takes to "send" the file to the printer. A 300 dpi image will take some time but if they dont charge for the time it takes to print it then i say GO FOR IT!

dont forget about CMYK, if your painting in rgb and it goes to that cmyk printer your colors will be funny. A good switch to cmyk and tweak when your done should be sufficient.

also get one of these
    http://www.cthulhulives.org/toybox/PROPDOCS/Prop%20Supplies/g1582.jpg
    its a bigger version of the x-acto knife with bigger blades, you'll get smoother sexier cuts then the graphic design kids. It will also save your hands from seizing and kinking.
  • toddiej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toddiej polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Cory, I was working on my board at 300 dpi and when I went to print they don't even print at that high of resolution for a cutout. That was at Imagewest. Other places might print big cutout things that high. Imagewest is good for the price though, they mount and cut out. I had screenshots on mine and they look like crap but the bgrnd looks fine. One big thing like you have should look good at a lower res.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Looks awesome.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that freaking freaks me out!
  • MisterCline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterCline polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see the facial scarring on his arms where it is also red. To me this makes sense.
  • killingpeople
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great!

I'll buy one from you wink.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yay! It looks like you fixed *some* of the symmetry issues! (his right ear, our left, is like...150% the size of his other, and his head/neck is like, 1-2" offset to his left)

I know you're planning on a cut-out but it'd sure read a lot better if you didn't use a green for the background that was so similar to your forground.

I did another one of my crap paintovers...
    I changed the background color to something I felt made your subject matter pop a bit more..adjusted the levels on the char, again for contrast, and added some needed surface detail to the bug portion of the char for visual interest.
    So as not to clog up your thread with images, a link:
    Scoob's massacre of KP's awesome work
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'd be careful with taking that kind of direction--changing the background color does help to pop the figure, but it makes the rimlighting stand out so much more that suddenly I feel like I'm looking at one of Dhabih Eng's pieces from the late 90's.

i can't polish a piece to save my life, so this is all about 200+ hours past where i would have stopped smile.gif looking great kp. and no thanks to you, i now have that "santa baby" song in my head but with the words changed to "centibaby". please do not hurry down my chimney tonight, centibaby.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yes i think u turned this in alreay my man,

but anyways the lower part of the body gets dark really fast, its like he has a spotlight above him. but the chest and head are equally lit, id expect the head even lighter than the chest.. and now u actually made it darker :?

regardless this is killer work!
    look at those cute chubby cheeks makes you just wonna pinch them
  • nreynolds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nreynolds polycounter lvl 18
    i love the green background and would hate to see it be cut away. So i did a little mockup of an idea of how i would see it at a booth.

leave some of that green so you dont lose that awesome hair.

I love it mucho.

my mockup.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/colossalsk8/killbooth.jpg