Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

anime to realism....

Enix
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Enix polycounter lvl 18
This is my latest project. I modeled an anime character from dragonball Z [haha, yea i know....]. But I am trying to take it to the next level by bringing some realism to the character. But since I am completly new to realism, I need some suggestions. His name is Goten, and it is still very wip laugh.gif.

gotenskin32mh.jpg

the completly model [which I will show later] is just over 1900 polys, and my goal was to keep it under 2k.

Replies

• Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    Just doesn't look right... You know, Super Sayan hair is not symetrical. It doesn't make sense.

Etienne
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you're going for a half and half keeping the anime proportions, right? With that in mind I'd say its looking pretty good so far.

A few things, firstly you might like to put a bit more angle on those two front spikes so they don't look quite as boxy.

Now if I remember rightly, Goten is somewhere between 6 and 10 years old or at least was in the few episodes that I've seen. If this is the version you're aiming at, you'd probably do well to make the nose, chin and mouth quite a bit smaller. Anime facial proprtions are actually not that far removed from childrens, so you probably won't need to change the structure all that much.

GIve him a slightly turned up nose would give a more childish look, as would considerably shortening the nose bridge.

Keep at it mate.
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    if its for DBZ, i'd make the model look angrier, they always seem to be pissed off in the show
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    lose the enormous, blocky, symmetrical spiked hair and you're on to something. just add more character to the face.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    @Jackablade: Yea, I agree with everything you said and fixed it. I have a bad sence of facial changes from different ages. I have been trying to make it look more like a 9 year old child, so I removed some defining shadows and added some highlights in other places.

@Manic: I'm kinda going for a relaxed idle look tongue.gif. And in the show goten is almost never pissed, he is usually the calm and innocent one tongue.gif.

@Etienne : suggestions? the hair is mirrored and I havn't posed it yet tongue.gif. I just started posing it in this new render.

@ElysiumGX : That block of hair wasn't there originally, but if it's removed im left with a huge blank space and even textured it looks out of place.

gotenwip10le.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    eyes are too big and lose some of the symettry off the hair also the sking tone is too flat,lacking in color and needs highlights.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I think that a good way to make an anime characters look more realistic is by making the hair look real. Lose the spikes/cones and build up the hair out of planes with a hair texture on it with an alpha channel.

Besides that the eye shape needs to change a little bit. You can find good eye reference easily.

Then give the lips some color, add eyebrows and more shading and you should be on your way.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Haha Ikraan, that was actually my original plan. his head at one point had no hair, it was a fully modeled bald head. I put some alpha plans on there with some hair textured nice and smooth for him.....it looked like crap. Maybe im just not good at alpha mapping, or alpha mapping was never ment for DBZ characters, either way...thats not gonna happen again tongue.gif.

And I was going to give the lips some color and make them actual lips. But that didn't work out so well, he ended up looking like a transexual anime character looking for some suga tongue.gif. I will see what I can do about the skin tone, but it is pretty dull atm, there are alot of things I want to do with this, and hopefully I can pull them off :P.

Also, keep in mind I am going for realism, but at the same time staying true to the anime roots [big eyes, under defined lips, cute look, big hair, etc..].

[edit]

gotenwip25rx.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    You should remap the face so that itsnot mirroring, or at least the eyes. One major thing I noticed is the hair. Try making it asymmetrical, with little bits and big bits here and about. It could also do for some alpha plane'd hair. Cloud_CG_Poster.jpg something a little more like this maybe?
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    if you want realism, i'd tone down the hair even though it makes them super sayain, but yes, do it like that ff advent, that pic is a good example of anime to realism.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would redo the hair completely if you're going for realism.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    if you want realism, i'd tone down the hair even though it makes them super sayain, but yes, do it like that ff advent, that pic is a good example of anime to realism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was cloud ever in an anime?.. But uhh the eyes are to big.
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    umm... i think the concepts were anime, and dbz hair and cloud's hard are similar in the way they are
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    Perfect hair forever!

but i like wehre this is going. your making a game character, based on an anime, but not using cel/contour shading or anything similar to 2d art. Its basically a style.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I think you should give him some more asian facial attributes, as of this moment he looks like a poorly groomed Hilter youth. Make his cheeks more plump, bring down that layer of fat above the eye. It's looking well done so far.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    if you went for a bald head and only alpha planes for hair then no wonder it looked like crap. tongue.gif
    you should model the bulk/body of the hair and then use alpha planes for fringe/part that stick out at odd angles, the accents.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really repends on how many planes you want to use, you can get a lot of volume from just planes.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    You shouldn't start with a bald head but try to define the base for the hair and add planes to that for spikes and such.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think I have the patients for that XD.

Thats probally why I won't ever get into the industry, I have no patients tongue.gif.

Here is a small update, I mapped the body and im getting some color and base detail thrown on:

gotenvwip2li.jpg

I gave the face more color, I might have taken it too far, but I kinda like it, it's full of color.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Whilst I quite like the model, it doesn't convey any sense of realism to me.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    doctors need patients. artists need patience.

this model is kind of freaking me out. looks sort of like a norfin troll. I'm not saying its bad, or poorly done, just the subject matter and the way you've decided to texture it is creepy as all hell.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    not being nasty but it reminds me of a desaturated one of these

LL45a.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    the eyes are still too big.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Wow enix that texture is awesome. I see where you could be pulling from though. Did you want him to accualy look life like? Or did you want him to have a texture that is alot less cartoony. Anyway, that texture is sexy. cool.gif Keep going!
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea thats exactly it. I wanted to get away from the cartoony textures. I wanted to give him realistic features, and I wanted to stay close to his basic design. I didn't want him to look completly lifelike, just have some human features and a somewhat realistic complexion. I guess I will see how the rest turns out, I am very excited to move on to the body and see how this turns out.

@Showster: thats just wrong XD.

@JO420: They are a bit big and I will fix that, but I wanted them to be a bit bigger then normal to show that I am still sticking to the anime roots.
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    I'm happy you fixed the hair Enix. That is MUCH better.
    I thought SuperSayans had green eyes... But then again ... I'm color blind.

Bleh.

Etienne
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Green eyes come at SSJ2.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Give the lips some color! But not too much or else he will look femmy. Right now the eyes look even bigger because the mouth hardly draws attention. The features don't balance.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    all the SSJ levels have blueish-green eyes.

If you want more realism, you should go from the blocky hair to the alpha mapped layers.. needs acctual hairs.
  • LazyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LazyBoy polycounter lvl 18
    i think the super sayijin eyes are like a striking green though the manga anime didn't do that well to convey it i think there eyes if you are going for a realistic point of view would look similar to theses type of eyes

have you seen that famous picture of that girl on the front cover of national geographic with those piercing and strking eyes i think super sayijin eyes would look like that if you are going for realism.

nationalgeographicphoto15fa.jpg