Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Girl

Gonna post this here before i start uving incase theres something major i missed with this model, let me know.
luba10.jpg
luba11.jpg

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks very good. Way more natural than your older stuff. One area that looks problematic is the corner of the cheek right before it goes into the bottom of the nostril. That's not really the best way to resolve edges. If you were planning to animate this at all, that area would probably be impossible to work with. I'd suggest not having those three way intersections right there.

Minor nitpick on the edgeflow, but other than that, looks good.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah im not entirely sure why i did that like that poop, it kind of just happened... Hmmm ill have to look into it before i uv i guess
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty damn good. You really seem to like your freakishly dense meshes. Model her some eyelashes smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good, like Per says, more character in her than previous meshes!

However your edge loops are also pretty weird here and there... like Per says the ones down the centre of her face (especially the forehead and nose) is just being silly, that'd be a bastard to animate, and tough to control, you could definitely cut those down.

The area on the outside of her eye socket (next to the eye, below the temples) is looking kinda weird, a bit too hard maybe...

I also don't like where the edge flow is going down past her mouth and onto the jawline, kinda makes it look like she has old man jowls?

Eyes are maybe a little small for my tastes, but not outside the realm of reality I guess.

Keep it up!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks for the crits guys, did some various tweaks on her and heres a new image:
    luba12.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    edgeloops are much better now, definitely your best looking face !!!
    it seems that you smoothed the cheeks aswellwhich is a good improvement ! smile.gif

now go and texture that one, it will deserve it !
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    WOOOT h0t lips!!
    you are teh winner.

dont know how nobody said her jaw is untypically manly
    so, her jaw is untypically manly.
    also it doesnt many sense her socket is so big, her brow is so high, but the eyeball is superficially visible only in a small area. you see, once the brow curves into the hole of the socket - the eyeball is there. the socket is filled with an eyeball, there is no space. the body is built very accurately. i can make a paintover if u want.

anyways, its good lips, i dont care what this is good!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i like it ! she looks cute laugh.gif she is asking for a normal map :P ( in a lower mesh lol )
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The eyes are maybe a bit small? Not sure though.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Loops are much much better now, nice stuff smile.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Looking really good overall. Nice topology. She'll deform well if you're going to animate her. The hair is great, and I'm glad to see you're going with a straight poly approach instead of a hair plugin. I think, for the most part, hair plugins are overrated and you can usually get just as good, or better, results with polys and an alpha'd texture.

Suggestions:
    - I think it's still a bit dense. You could easily remove more edge loops without affecting the general topology. I'm thinking mainly in the cheek area. And it will make you're life easier if you're going to do any rigging and facial animation.
    - There are three loops close together where the eyebrows will go, get rid of the middle one. That should help to smooth out that area. Remember, you don't actually have to model where the eyebrows are going to be, the texture will take care of that. Just concentrate on the overall shape of the brow.
    - The crease under the lips and above the chin seems to be overaly sharp. It just stands out because there's really no other sharp detail like that on the face. I would just pull the edges there apart a little to smooth it out.
    - The sides of the mouth, right above the upper lip, seem sunken in a bit. The shading is making it look almost like she has a mustache. Puffing it out a little right in that area should fix that. Or bring in th whole lower part of her face a bit. It's hard to tell without a side view.

Can you post a straight on front and side view? And what program are you using?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using lightwave 8.2, of course. Heres the front/side havent had time to mess with her anymore today.... I know about the weird loops around the ears too =D
    luba13.jpg
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Good shit man, best work i see from you

watchout for the nose(nostrils) if any crits
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    good stuff man.

One think, for me, front view is looking a little bit too wide.

luba13_fix.jpg

just an idea.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

One think, for me, front view is looking a little bit too wide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Na, I think that is due to a orthogonal view in that shot.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's why I hate ortho views and why I found them useless...

Can you post some shots with REAL perspective EQ? smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    she does seem to have a wide head, but I met a girl with a wide head the other day and she was kinda pretty. Maybe it's the jaw? Too low and flat?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've rounded the jaw a bit and yes its because i turned the perspective down for the ortho(the first shots have perspective).. Apparently the shaders im using here only work right with sub-d surfaces, which annoys me, the mesh isnt really set up for subd so i feel like im losing some of the character or whatever you want to call it when it gets smoothed =( Anyway uved the hair and did a test render.
    lubarender01.jpg

She looks sad.... Eyes seem wrong too, much tweaking needed.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    eyelashes! everyone forgets 'em
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny, i actually had eyelashes modeled in the first shots i posted, but i deleted them when i started tweaking the model again.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    She still looks too manly! the eyes seem really small too... oh. did you fix the nose bridge yet you lazy cumsucking dolt?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash i was thinking the same thing last night.... Woke up and did some tweaks to the chin, jaw and mouth area, and a little with the nose and eyes too.
    luba15.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The mouth looks a bit too low.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kdr: yeah it looks better a little higher.
    Ok fuck the fancy shaders they are just a pain in the ass.

[edit] Uved and heres a texture wip:
    lubarender04.jpg
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    Looking damn good EQ, a definite improvement. She actually kind of looks like a girl I murdered not too long ago smile.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good.

The point I made earlier about getting rid of the middle row of edges in the eyebrows would help here. There's a bump where the eyebrows are defined in your mesh that it interfering with where you've painted them on. Either get rid of some of the extra edges and smooth out the bump, or lower the eyebrows in the texture to lay on top of it so that we don't see that extra ridge in the model right under the eyebrows.

And smooth out the hair so we can't see the hard edges.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really quite good.

For the next mesh(!), I would really focus on getting the nose look right (especially the bottom of it), but for now I wouldn't bother.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yikes, now that you mention it I looked at it and thought she looks a bit like Michael Jackson!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Glad you finally decided to create a woman. :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated render, im thinking this one is looking pretty nice now.
    lubarender05.jpg
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Why is she so fucking RED for? not to mention smudgy...
    send me the damn model when i get home from work.

hair is nice tho btw. oh. Per is a fag thats either never on icq or just invisible!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shes red because i dont like pale chicks, goth boy. Im about to go to bed so ill just pm you an url to the model, you can get my maps later if you need them. Oh yeah and per is a pedophile who likes 9 year old boys blah blah.

fixed ear up, now sleep.
    lubarender06.jpg
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Per: they never do, do they?!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Crash : unless fat enough

EQ: great improvement man, though I do agree with Crash and per, mebbe a little desaturation would help...lazy git!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    If you redistributed the red (to cheeks and nose and little more to ears) it might look OK for a girl whos been out in the cold for some time.
    And please redo the ears, i know ears are pain but download and image and it eventually works out, also ears are attached to the head a lot more smoothly (yours kinda look like tubes coming out of the head).
    And eyes.. make them more bright (especially the iris part) and maybe less blue and more yellow/beigeish.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great improvement on the ear, just two things about it:

1. The most outward part of the ear is a bit too red.
    2. the hair behind the ear makes it look like it isn't properly connected to the head. Right now it looks more like some sort of 'flap' instead of a correctly attached ear.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I've been following this model and I think you've done some really great work!
    The Sclera (white part) on the eye is too blue/cyan.
    The eyebrow seems too high. She's "permanently surprised"

What is with the lack of AA on the renders?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Threw her onto an older model i did because the old head was shite, and it seems to work well with it... Will probably do a bit more work on the body and then texture that as well.

lubarender07.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fits perfectly to the body. Great work.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great EQ. You've come on tremendously in the last year or so.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    now, do the goth version wink.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I REALLY love her. Definitly the best piece I saw from you smile.gif

Just give her a quick Zbrush pass (shoulder and arms arn't very detailled like the pants for instence) and texture this bitch laugh.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, im not really sure what you want to see with the arms renaud? I had some sharper edges and stuff on them in the old model that i toned down because they looked to manly, you cant really do a cute girl with manly arms, it just looks wrong =D
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes you right, but I mean, even if you have femal arm, if you are looking for something more realistic, there are still some sub muscles and veins 'n stuff which are pretty cool to see.

I remember one pic from mila in resident evil you posted, and you character seems to match it. And we can easly see that even female can have "strong" arms.

here's a close up from this ref to illustrate what I said :

arm.jpg

anyway, it's just an idea of couse smile.gif
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    mmmmmm.... Mila J

...sorry.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    mhh I don't see the point of using zbrush only to add veins on a model, as a simple bump will handle it perfectly with much less efforts and more important, a lot less polys...bah...guess I'd never understand why any highpoly model would have to recieve a zbrush pass...
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zbrush is simple and usefull in this TYPICAL cases. I'm not a Zbursh fanboy and it was just an idea. My main comment was about the details on the arm, not about the software to use to add it. I just find the arms more simple than the rest of the body that's all.

Anyway EQ, do what you want laugh.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah theres no reason to take a 300k model and make it 5 million just to add viens, i can do that easily with a bump map.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    ........wow..........all I have to say is......wow

This model is awesome, you should be proud bro...I need to quit slacking and make something this good