Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portable Chapel

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
I wanted to make an environment designed for playstation portable. I had this old medieval church/graveyard in mind for a 3rd person type of game. This is the outcome so far, 495 triangles, 2x128x128 textures.

render (it's not meant to be seen in this way, but it still holds up)
chapel08_thumb.jpg

psp shot (sony playstation portable users, drop this image on your psp.)
chapel08pspch.jpg

Any idea of things to top this scene off would be great.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks excellent considering the budget!
    Are the trees, clouds and moon included in the 2x128x128 textures?

Only thing I don't really like is the colour/brightness of the light emanating from the windows ... it looks like someone's just painted the windows with beige paint, not like there's any light or depth inside ... some variation in the brightness/saturation around the glowy areas might help that, maybe.

Really cool work on the whole though - kickin' it old school in the new school!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's ALL in there, baby. :P

You are right, about the windows. I will work on this now.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really good cholden. If it's a medieval setting I'd suggest build in some hierarchy in the stones. It looks mainly feudal, but there's bound to be someone buried there who was a little more important than the others. You probably want to keep build both polycount and texture as low as possible, but I think you could add for example a deceased local lord's tomb by adding a little extra geometry and using the same textures. I found this one on google:

VIP tomb

Really good work smile.gif

BTW: what's the psp shot? paint shop pro? Please excuse my naivity confused.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sony Playstation Portable. That shot is optimized to be viewed best on a PSP.

MoP, here's an idea for the windows?
    http://chrisholden.net/chapel09.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, IMHO that looks a lot more atmospheric and believable... maybe a tiny bit more orange/saturation near the top instead of the greenish-grey?

Very good stuff smile.gif
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    I'm starting something kinda similar, I love it cholden!

Maybe add some dirt near the path edges or perhaps round the outer walls of the church?? the grass is cool and all but its a bit overwhelming, flattens the style a bit. Though I dunno if this is possible since the texture space is so limited hehe

I love budget work, this rocks!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Nice idea Chris. I would desaturate the bushes/grass a bit more. Also the moon is really bright and the roof is really dark. I would lighten the roof or vert colot it so it looks like light is hitting it. Overall though great idea and execution. I've seen a few positions posted for PSP specific Environment Artists.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't the PSP capable of a bit more? That shot looks like it belongs on the DS (or N64).
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    oh man. Post the flats!! I need to see how you did this!! I need.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    just saw this, man NJ i really like.. 2 x128 wtf?

i second ghosts motion to see flats smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, everyone, and here are the current textures:
    http://chrisholden.net/chapel_128s.jpg

nkoste: yea, I was thinking a new more elborate tombstone like that. I can get away with more polygons I'm sure, and more tombs won't add much to the textures. The downside it fitting them all on screen. What I may do is fill out these scene all the way away around, and take shots from a few angles.

Showster: I have dirt decals all around this thing, but seeing them all requires a different angle.
    http://chrisholden.net/chapel10.jpg

Jeffro: Yes, I had some sweet moon lighting, but it was killed in favor of brightening up the front for screenshots. I'll try to bring it back as much as possible for some final renders.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I only wish you could set a background for the PSP, all you get is a moving background that changes colour every month *rolls eyes*

Pic reminds me of that old vampire shooting game based on the Duke nukem 3D engine. I forget what it was called :P
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I only wish you could set a background for the PSP, all you get is a moving background that changes colour every month *rolls eyes*

Pic reminds me of that old vampire shooting game based on the Duke nukem 3D engine. I forget what it was called :P

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hexen, possibly?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was Blood, you could kick zombie heads around like soccerballs with blood trails.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hi cholden: nice work, this piece is looking good. cool.gif

i have some quick stuff to spit your way if you don't mind:

[*]i would add a door or attempt to add convincing depth to the black archway. i feel the black is a disruptive and jarring element.
    [*]i thought the top of the chimeny was rather bright/harsh. i think if you were to darken it, it would blend in with it's surrounding more. unless you want it that way, an idea i had was adjusting the unwrap so the tip showed some weathered grunge/shade like that near the top of the walls of the building and still lining up with the bricks on the face below it.
    [*]the outside frame of the window appears too lit imo. especially for such a bright glow from inside, usually light pointed at the viewer past an object will increase contrast by darkening the object in the foreground. also the fact the moon is behind the house, it plays mean games on my mind - wondering, "where is the lightsource coming from?" i think lighting the scene would help tremendously.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    very nice mr. holden very nice!