Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fatty Knight, Fatty Download 56kers Beware...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, here is my wip entry to the comp over at cgchat, I would really like your guys input on him.

here is a gi render so you can get an Idea of the polyform,
ts_global_1.jpg

The model with bump applied
screen_shot1.jpg

Model with Diffuse,Specular,Bump:
front.jpg
left.jpg
right.jpg
back.jpg
persp.jpg
beauty_1.jpg
wire.jpg

Flats:
Diffuse:
ts_top_diffuse512.jpg
Bump:
ts_top_bump512.jpg

Specular:
ts_top_spec512.jpg

Diffuse Color:
ts_bottom_diffuse512copy.jpg

Bump:
ts_bottom_bump512.jpg

Specular:
ts_bottom_spec512.jpg

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hehe awesome, really solid looking. my one tiny crit would be maybe edit the leg specular so there is no or less shiny in the creases of the overlapping armour pieces, I think the continuous shine counteracts the 3d impression. I really like the character smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool, would be better if you used a normal map instead of a bump map, you would get alot more depth out of it. The UVs are pretty bad, you have lots of wasted space and unmirrored parts, they're not used efficiently at all, which would be the weakest point of this whole piece.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    I personlly don't think there is enough defination between parts on the skin, it looks a little muddy from grey area to grey area and not as tight as it could be. other then that, fantastic work
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the model I just feel that I need more value in the texuture
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Good, now make him look like he has seen the battlefield. Rite now hes just a suit of armor in a castle that gets cleaned evey day. Get him dirty, like as if he had been killing things for the past few years. You need dryed on blood and mud, maybe even some rust, and some gashes/cuts. You can make this guy really pop by getting in and putting on the little details that show the wear and tear of war.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Skull seems out of place considering the rest of the armor. I must learn to normal map...
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Great model, loads of personality. My crit is that the spec map makes it look more like plastic than metal. I've seen spec maps (specifically in Jedi knight 2) that are painted in a more "illustrative" fashion, with highlights painted almost like a 2d illustration rather than a blanket "this bit is this shiny" way, and it looked really good. Might be worth a try, If you can be arsed.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fin.

Beauty:

beauty_1.jpg

beauty_2.jpg

beauty_4.jpg

Front:

front.jpg

Back:
    back.jpg

Sides:

left.jpg

right.jpg

Persp:

persp.jpg

Wire with Counter:

wire_counter.jpg

Textures:
    Diffuse:

ts_bottom_diffusecopy.jpg
    ts_top_diffusecopy.jpg

Bump:
    ts_bottom_bumpcopy.jpg
    ts_top_bumpcopy.jpg

Specular:

ts_bottom_speccopy.jpg

ts_top_speccopy.jpg

Concept:
    Troll_slayer_concept_small.jpg

WIN!!!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Niice... wink.gif

I like the fat stocky proportions
    The concept painting of the boots looks sweet too.
    Some of the texture though seems to me lost in the final render, perhaps its the brown ornaments that are much shinier, I feel I like the concept style more.

Anyways great job...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm with shotgun. I think you relied too much on the per pixel lighting, and didn't paint enough information into your color map. You're concept is nice, and had you worked your color map like you worked the concept, I think this could have had a ton more style.

I think your values are off too. In your concept you have the skull and his fury tufts very easy to read, and they add a lot to his overall character, but in the texture map they get lost because of their middle muddy value. Don't be afraid to put some lighting into a color map, even when it's aimed for a per pixel engine. Only engine I've seen so far that needs no lighting whatsoever is UE3, of which 3dsmax render is not. 8-)
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the comments guys. Yeah I see what you mean. Im still trying to get a handle on the whole per pixel lighting thing. Like how much lighting detail is necessary on a bumpmapped/normal mapped model? I know not as much as an old school quake or ut2k4 model. I remeber Ror saying somwhere to make the diffuse "Milky" but like you said poop, I guess that was for the Unreal 3 engine. Overall Im happy with the end product. In the future Im gonna try to put more lighting in the diffuse like you guys said. Thanks a ton.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hm i think if the upper legs wouldnt be so blurry (like the cool look in the concept) and the "chin" has this hard edge like in the concept the style would come out a lot better !

like the concept more too