Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jason-Lavoie - Current Models

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, as you can see I am a new "face" here so I hope I can fit into the crowd, or cause some havok, whatever comes first smile.gif

Anyways a little about myself before I post my work, my name is Jason Lavoie, I am 16 years old, I have been modeling ever since November 2003, and I am loving every minute of it. My MAIN goal is to complete college, and hopfully get a job in the Gaming Industry as a Character Modeller (or a modeller in general, but I do enjoy character modeling).

Ok so, here some things I have been working on, they are chronologicaly in order:

Tommy "The Hammer" Malone - Part of a small personal project.
tommypromo18mb.jpg
gangsterprev13eb.jpg

Futuristic Samurai - Was inspired by a GW figure, and decided to model it.
slpprev1yv.jpg

Subordinate and Guard - These 2 characters I have been working on for a "consol like" RPG mod for HL2.
subpreview15na.jpg
previewunknown3lo.jpg

Goblin Warrior - This guy is for a community based game dubbed "Open Frags" for now. The concept artist had amazing skills, and hopffuly I brought his concept to life.
headpreview6ug.jpg
compare2lh.jpg

Toegee - This guy was probably my biggest personal project (Still working on it) It was a way for me to practice my texturing, modeling, and rigging skills. I still have a lot planned for this guy, my first true texturing attempt.
preview5oz.jpg
toogeetexturemap1lq.jpg

Marine - I was inspired by one of the concept art done by the artist at Project Hull Breach, a hl2 mod (very promising mod) This model in my mind was prbably my first big step into modeling, and I still think it is one of my better ones.
marinepreview4vb.jpg

I hope you don't mind me posting all my stuff, I would like to have some crits from al you guys and girls, cause I know polycount has some GREAT talent smile.gif Hopfully I cna learn from all of you smile.gif

Jason-Lavoie
scooby_doo_jay@hotmail.com

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I can't believe those poly numbers, are you sure you counted triangles, not polygons?
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty interesting models.
    I'd say they lack interesting proportions and they feel too much like face extrude,

smile.gif

b1ll
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's really impressive work for somebody of your years Jason. And welcome to PC!

Im not a fan of Toegee. I dunno, I just think that the design is a little strange. Sorry If its your big project! And Im not sure If the style of execution is meant to feel stylized or something more realistic. Either way, those colours are a little gaudy. The orc looks pretty nice, but I think you'd run into problems rigging him with that widespread stance. The guard and the subordinate look decent aesthetically, but it looks like theyre not too efficient. There seems to be a lot of detail in places that youd never appreciate it. Bolts on his boots for instance. And yeah, as KDR says, its tri count thats important, not quads. So make sure thats what you're counting. It certainly doesn't seem like it. And why does Tommy the hammer have no eyes? smile.gif Samurai guy feels a little squat too, like his head and his boots are way too big. Decent stuff tho man. And you have plenty of time to improve smile.gif Keep at it.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, the reason why the samurai is squat is because i was trying to get the "Dawn of War" kinda feel, those models have some weird proportions, I guess i didn't get it, he he.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed somthing. The reason why the gangster has no eyes is 1) I really suck at texturing, and I just coun't get the eyes righ 2) because this is an rts model, and the hat is blocking the eyes most of the time, I just thought it would make him look a bit cooler, bad ass a bit if he didn't have "eyes" but just a shadow smile.gif

Hey b1, could you explain more, I don't really know what your tlkaing about the face exturde, do you mean it just looks like I have extruded everything?

And about the poly counts, I am sorry about that, I am trying to get use to saying tris, shouldn't be hard I know, so don't pay attention to those smile.gif

Thanks for the crits guys, although they were down to the point (i really like that) i have never been able to learn from a crit if it is only "Good job, looks sweet" or "it sucks" kinda thing.

Thanks again!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I recognize your stuff from gameartist.com
    You have some really nice models, Your texturing still needs some work,but you came to the right place to learn. Welcome to Polycount!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Welcome to polycount buddy, told you that you could find some good help around here. You definately have some promise, and alot of nice looking models, I would say to work a bit more on the anatomy and having a dynamic pose. I would say the "hammer" is the best one in that reguard.

Keep practicing and enjoy your stay. And keep working on the textures.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all, I am actually going ot start practicing on the sdk heads, well one of them for now, because it is such a great practice. The Hammer is fully rigged so thats why it is more exciting to look at smile.gif

I will try my best to improve, thanks for the warm welcome everyone smile.gif
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, looks like you made it finaly :P, i see some that i have not seen on the 3dtotal forums, i realy like that soldier concept from the hl2 mod concept, you did a good job on it, although you made it out of once piece, if you realy want to optimise and then raise the polycount, there are somethings you could do differently and have a similar result.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Icewolve smile.gif hows it going dude?

Yeah ytou mean like modeling armor sepertaly etc. like that? I am not comforabtle with HIGHER poly models yet, i find my comfort zone in like the LOW poly to mediam poly regions smile.gif But I will certainly try smile.gif
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Nice to have another Ontario polycounter to add to the list... Stuff looks really nice, but weird proportions a few there, can't wait to see more.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Funny to see the marine , I did the model for the mod.
    (This is the only shot I have of it, besides the finished model http://members.shaw.ca/chadpearn/portfolio/almawire.jpg )

Welcome to PC.
    I like the guard the most.