Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Doom3 PPM - IdGirl - WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
vahl polycounter lvl 18
'lo all
first real pimp on the new forums ('cept my tutorial).
most of you may already have quickly seen this one on #M_D, this was initially for a mod project I was working on with some firends but it seems that its more or less dead these time, so I'm posting this here, just because I think it deserves some PC'ers C&C smile.gif

The model is around 2.000.000 tris now. She'll have hair on the lowpoly but I'm not planning to normal map the hair (saw a post about this on the 2/3d discussion forums).

The lowpoly model will be around 2000 tris, as the spaceman was.
anyways, enough talk, let's start pimping !!

perspective shot
idgirlwip16.jpg

Backpack detail (click!).
idgirlwip16_backpack_t.jpg

Head Detail (click!).
idgirlwip16_head_t.jpg

Some combat suit details, air extraction (click!).
idgirlwip16_detail_t.jpg

C&C welcome as usual laugh.gif

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    lowcage_idgirlwip16.jpg forgot the lowpoly cage smile.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I dig it. The face looks like it might not be round enough, mainly in the face detail shot, but it could also be distortion from the camera lens your rendering with. I'd love to see a full body render so that nothing is cut off.

But overall, awesome detail. It looks great.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    holy mother of space chicks!!! she's looking good vahl...
    nuff said.

Quick question presumably you simply apply a meshsmooth to the low poly cage ya got there to get the stupidly high poly version right?

She got any feet yet?

john
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    i think it was actually the other way round bronco, the highpoly model has detail you cant get from a mesh smooth. he probly started with the high poly and and optimaized an such
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think it was actually the other way round bronco, the highpoly model has detail you cant get from a mesh smooth. he probly started with the high poly and and optimaized an such

[/ QUOTE ]

The low poly cage is the mesh he applied the meshsmooth to, hence the word "cage".
    Looks great.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    raelly nice stuff vahl.

If i were to change something, to make it more my tastes.. I'd make the helmet a little wider. Seams like the sides of her head have only an inch on thickness. I'd say more bulk. But hey its minor. again.. sweet job on the high res model.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    haha... man thats friggin awesome.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    that air pipe is gona be fun normal mapped, mind you , you are using th doom engine to generate arnt you....

the model is absolutely lovely, how manny times dd your app crash using poly count like that?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yo vahl!
    great job man
    good to see you pimping those models
    i think she looks very nice so far

its bit hard to tell, but if u look at her shoulder level and her chin level, they may be too far apart, having too long a neck. im not sure the problem is there tho, cuz there's something wrong with the placvement of the shoulders (deltoid) as well.. it seems kind of detached from the body to me, but i cant point my finger at it :~
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    very cool vahl! The indentation on the upper arm looks strange, like her arms are going to be robotic? So how has it taken you so far to build her? smile.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    you are a pervert i like thos polys! :P
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I don't really know much about highpoly modelling.. but man.. those legs.. those are some sexy SEXY legs. Good job Vahl, glad to see this type of model around here.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Looks great, lots of really nice detail in the space suit. Are you modeling the high res with smooth proxy, or are you using sub d?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really excellent mesh - looking at that wireframe is just amazing. Great work for sure.
    However I agree with Shotgun on the neck length comment - if you look at the chin and shoulders they do seem very far apart indeed!
    Her cheeks in the 3/4 view do not seem to stick out as much - if you just moved the cheekbone area a little further towards the front of the face it would be an improvement I think.
    Also her crotch looks a bit low to me, like her torso is too tall? I dunno, I haven't compared it to refs, it's just how it looks to me.
    Great model though, must have taken quite a lot of time so far! (although you have re-used bits from your other male PPM? wink.gif )
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice man. I am with swampbug, I would love to see the helmet wider. Looking super pimp though. 8-)
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    W O W !
    I love the combination of armour/plates, tubes and cloth.

Did you make this off a concept or did you make it all up along the way?
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Very, very nice work. As others have said, the neck and (especially) torso seem too long. Also, I'd add that the hips seem too narrow, though it probably comes down to taste. I think it'd be better overall with more hourglassy hip-to-waist ratio. But hey, it's beautiful.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Great work! I cant wait to see her done and textured.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    some crazy work spotted ! Exellent modeling valh ! laugh.gif I just follow shotgun&MoP on the general proportion problems. But it's nothing, and a quick look on this fucking pants wireframe make me "Aaarrrgh" *dead*

Just keep it up !
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow Vahlou it's getting done! Glad to see you finally pimp this on the boards :]

The model has some really fine details and smooth shapes, it's impressive to see how quickly you nailed down all the little cool highpoly tricks that makes a model shine... These tech parts are yummy :P

However, and I didn't noticed it on the early wip shots, you have some proportion tweaks to be done on her as mentionned earlier ; armpits and neck length once again, and also hips width imho. But I guess it's not that easy to fix on a highpoly object with such details... Maybe its easier to fix once the lowpoly+normal model is generated?

I also think that you need to be careful with the 'detail density', if this makes sense. At the moment the model is kickass as a rendered/static piece, but I don't know if such an amount of detail can be stored in a 1024 normalmap... The chest area is great for it has nice edge and sharpness changes that define large 'chunks' of sleek highrez geometry, same for the helmet and backpack ; but the hips, belt and arm areas might be a bit overdetailled and somehow lack large and readable volume changes, if you see what I mean.

Hope this helps!! You are doing such a great job on these highpoly models man... Impressive job!

Can't wait to msn a little wink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think most of these proportion issues can be fixed pretty easily right now with a few Lattices? Certainly the torso length and maybe neck length can be fixed too. I would also like to see the helmet a little wider, it kinda looks like it's squashing her head.
    Still a fine-ass model smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i agree , some simple lattice work would fix the proportions ,

is the helmet actually a mask type thing? it dosnt look like it covers the top of the head...
  • XBlade_RunnerX
    I know this is way off topic probably but I have looked everywhere and just have a single question.

Is There anywhere to download Custom Player Models For Quake 4 Multiplayer?? If so, Where? Thank you very much in advance.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    WOW! This thread is from '04!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know this is way off topic probably but I have looked everywhere and just have a single question.

Is There anywhere to download Custom Player Models For Quake 4 Multiplayer?? If so, Where? Thank you very much in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

If You are looking for the Q4 models from Mr. Vahl is this way :
    http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=15798

otherwise - I dont think so there's another models for Q4.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i'm sure this will be closed in a minute.

question, certainly not pointing the finger-- why the obsession with not diggin up old threads? is this related to the not-cluttering-up-my-inbox-with-emails at work obsession in some way?
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i'm sure this will be closed in a minute.

question, certainly not pointing the finger-- why the obsession with not diggin up old threads? is this related to the not-cluttering-up-my-inbox-with-emails at work obsession in some way?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always seen it as a matter of people generally failing to notice that it's an old thread and not a new one, which can be all sorts of mistaken assumptions and questions aimed at a poster that isn't around any more. It's generally okay if someone ressurects their own thread with an update or such; and on the other end of it people bringing them up asking for updates is considered poor form-- and bringing up a thread with an off-topic post? That's just rude.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    WOW! This thread is from '04!

[/ QUOTE ]

vahl's awesomeness is AGELESS.