Offline / Send Message
Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
airthumb.jpg
Side Shot
Front Close
Front Whole Body
Back
Closeup Of Head

Currently sitting at 6306 polys. It's not rigged, for the pose I just moved stuff around. I was trying to pay attention to poly flow and anatomy, so any suggestions on that, and anything else for that matter, would be appreciated. smile.gif

Replies

• RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    the model as a whole is nice but I think you may want to focus working on the head more.
    The lower jaw is too flat and kinda looks like a hollowed out boat in the pimpage picture.
    The upper part of his head where the 2nd pair of eyes are form too unnaturally out of the lower part, it kinda looks like a normal lizard is wearing a lizard mask on it's nose... I'm sure you probably can't see that :S

I'm sure others can make much much more valuable comments ;p
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you could remove a lot of polys from the body without changing the shape much, and then add them to the wings where there's not much going on. The wings need more variation in shape to look more organic, right now they look very mechanical.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    overall i think you have a bit too many polys for what you have going on, it also seems a bit awkward. a more dynamic anatomy I think would fix it up. the wings look way to tiny to be of any use for him, esp the arms of the wings. Interesting concept tho, keep pushing it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Definitly have quite a bit polys in his legs/foot area. The wings seem OK - and the face I beleive, could be achieved with a lesser of a polycount.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder: I see what you're saying about the jaw and the eyes. For the jaw I was going for something similar to an alligator, having the long mouth and such. I can move some verts around and sorta make a tongue that's lying on the bottom of the mouth, which might make it less boat like. Not sure what to do about the eyes though, it may just be a shading thing since the back eyes are set out a little from the front eyes which may be causing a slight shadow making them look separate. Any ideas on what would make them look less like a mask on his nose?

FatAssasin: I went through and took out quite a few polys, it's down to 5268 right now. So over 1000 polys were lost. I'm thinking about adding a bit to the wings, right now they're just tubes. I've been trying to find some good pictures of bat wings to use as a reference, but google hasn't been turning up much. I may end up just add some segments to add some more shape to them.

poopinmymouth: happy B-day! What do you mean by more dynamic anatomy? The wings are going out at an angle so I don't think the front, back, and side shots give a good impression of the size of the wings, but I've made them larger and pulled them away from the body a little more to give him a larger wingspan.

AdamBrome: yea, I took out a bunch from his head and legs.

So here's some updated shots:
    Front
    Back
    Head
    Like I said, the poly count is down to 5268. I redid the arms, didn't like how they looked before, and I'm still not liking the forearms but I'm not sure yet what to do with those. I think that the legs need some work or to be completely redone like the arms, need to figure out what to do with them. Any suggestions?
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on this guy. I completely redid the legs, which lowered the poly count by a whopping 2 polys, but I think it looks a little better. And I added a bit to the wings to make them look less mechanical. Sitting at 5454 polys.

airfrontthumb.gifairbackthumb.gifairsidethumb.gifairwingthumb.gif

Any suggestions?
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, just thought I'd bring this up and see if there were any suggestions before I go and map him. smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    wot poly count were you going for , or is it just the look you are worried about?
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not too concerned about the poly count, I guess between 5k and 6k is good. I guess I'm more interested in hearing suggestions on how I can improve how he looks, like anatomy, poly flow, etc.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    I think it would look better if the shoulder muscle was more separate from the pec's. And I think the bicep is both the wrong shape and too long. Upper body looks too long when compared to the legs and I think the second set of arms looks awkward, It would make sense if it originated from the armpit of the first set.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I tried making his shoulders more separate from his pecs, moved up the lower arms and made his upper body shorter. I don't think the lower arms should be too close to the upper arms because having more space in between would allow for more movement, if they were too close them the upper arms would be getting in the way.
    airfrontsthumb.gif

As for the biceps, I used this as a reference:
    http://sciences.aum.edu/bi/BI2100/cadams/armsh8m.jpg
    which shows the muscle going from the shoulder to the elbow. I intentionally made the arms long so that may be what's causing the bicep to look longer than it should.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I've made a couple of models with this kind of configuration in the past...
    Maybe this may be of help:
    http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/old_shat/zannin_wire.jpg

I think overall his proportions feel stretched. The torso is narrow, the head is narrow and the arms overly thick... which all blend together a bit and make it feel like everything is of the same general thickness.

Try giving his torso a more traditional "V" shape and scale down the pecs height wise. They look too large and bulky.

The shoulders also need some work. It looks like you're missing the pits and the smooth connection of the biceps into the shoulders/upper body.
    The way it is right now... it looks like the bicep ends just before the shoulders and have a row of faces connecting the two pieces. Shove your hand into your armpits and try to model that space. And press up against it hard enough... it should give you a good idea of just where the arm/bicep fits into the shoulders.

I think you're getting there. You have the right idea and know how to model by looking at the construction of the geo. All you need now is to get the shapes of your figure to read correctly.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions Soul. I've gone and made his torso wider, made the head wider, shrunk the arms a bit, scaled down the pecs, and made the shoulders broader. You pretty much described exactly how I made the arms and shoulders, I modeled the body and arms separetly and then just sorta connected them. So I've put in a few hours, trying to get the arms and the shoulders to connect more naturaly. Hardest part I'm having right now is trying to figure out how to modify what I've got now to get it where it needs to be. So I'm still working on it, but I thought I'd post some updates to see if I'm going in the right direction. Managed to use Max to get some renders, but if the screenshots I had going were easier to see then I can put some of those up.
    airsidemaxthumb.jpgairperspmaxthumb.jpgairfrontmax2thumb.jpgairbackmaxthumb.jpg