Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anime Style Character (WIP)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
The boards are up , and looking good. im sure there used to be alternateing different colours for the background on each post , i find it hard to read in classic style , (hard to tell where each post starts and ends ....

anyway , here is a update on my character , its using a cel shader i whipped up , and i think its looking 100 times better than it did ....

oldnewanime.jpg

Its higher poly , but i completely remodeled it , ive made clothes , and i just have to texture them , lots more to come ....

Replies

• jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, sweet! Greatly improved over the early version. The eyes look much better, she looks like a character now, not just a sketch. Let's see the complete figure!

/jzero
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ioric1.jpg

A shot of those clothes ... still not textured ..
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newiori1.jpg

Some better shots of the head.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Damn dude, love the style. The rendering technique reminds me a lot of Sgt. Science's sketch-render technique. I'd pull up his site but I forget the URL. I'll edit this post once I get home to get his website.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Great improvement on the eyes and the mouth, but the side of the head view looks strange, exspecially the hair on here forehead is too flat.

Hmm not sure what is is exactly, because all the other views look fine
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ic what you mean , its actually the forehead is too flat ... ill have a look at it .... some work needed around the mouth , there is some odd shading going on there ... the polys look fine , just the cel shader does some strainge things.. thnx for the comments tho guys ... more to come smile.gif
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Thermidor, massive improvement. Have you been studying Masakazu Katsura Sempai's Art Style? You seem to have almost captured a true essence's of Iori. How did you create such a improvement in such a short amount of time?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnx , i was just gona post asking for more cpmments on this today , i sorta dont know where to go with it .... was gona do some animation , but what to animate? smile.gif

the improvement is all down to spending a proper anount of time on the mesh for the face I completely started again 3 -4 times , but in the end not more than 3 hours work for a noticable improvement ..., the body has barely changed . Since my last post ive fixed the forhead issue , and remade the clothes , and built a shoddy set (room) for her to stand in , i mad build some more things to go in that set so it looks more like its out of one of him books. its frustrating to work on anime style stuff , i can draw it , but cant model it to the same standard .. ill post a shot ;ater on smile.gif
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Depends on what platform you're gonna use her for? Is she for gaming? a Art Project ? Or a Demo Reel? Me heh you -know- my answer ut2k3 or Q3 A or Jedi Academy...

And you did a great job on her, doing a anime style charater *can* be frustrating used to have a friend that did a few db and Angelic Layer models for a Demo reel and it took like 5 Months to get it right. How about making the room like a HS Class room in Japan? Always stick with a classic? wink.gif heh
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking really cool man. The black and white looks is really nice. However I think you need to push the body into even darker tons in areas, its all kind of a middle grey right now, and the boots, and shirt shadow could really use some darker near black shades. nice looking rig setup.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Program are you using with her creation Thermidor?
    I'm not familuar with what indication tools that are around her?

Poop, you think its the Shader? I can't tell that much I'm a absolute "n0013" when it comes to the Modelling anything part of it. Took 4 months just to get two vehicles slightlly tweaked and updated to be used with Max 7 and export them out to be used as edittable meshs to boot. I thought it might have been the lighting myself.
  • PlatSajack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PlatSajack polycounter lvl 18
    ooo.gif That's quite amazing, Thermidor. I, for some reason, thought of Ghost in the Shell at first sight of your work. Using a cartoon type shader really (IMHO) brings this character to life... at least for me. Please continue!
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow , thnx guys , i had all but given up on her , but there are some good sugestions here ...

Maestro : the class romm idea is great ... for some reason i didnt think of it ... lol , its sortof a art project , although im trying to get enough work for a showreel ... i completed my animation degree a few years ago , but never "went" for it in my chosen area ... now im back , and i really want to get a job in somthing artistic ...

The progy im using is Maya , i used to use max a while back , and i dont think theres much between them tbh , i never liked lightwave .. but the only time i used it was at University, and it was on a really slow pc , with a really old version of lightwave , i hear the latest versions are great.

Poop : ive been thinking of colour , sticking to b&W is a really hard thing .. smile.gif seriously tho... i need to do texturing still for the shirt and skirt... as you can see from the pic , the boots are meant to be long socks , maybe when ive made shoes for her , it will be more apparent wink.gif i think you are right tho , more shading in certain areas is needed. The rig , god its got a problem im trying to avaoid fixing ... i think at some point ive messed it up ... i made it a couple of months ago , and try to stick it , (or parts of it) on my models .. at the moment , when i rotate the rig locator , the spine spline ik handles dont more , or the head box and shoulders boxes , i did have some expressions in there too which helped on animating the walking etc ... which reminds my ive gota make some channels for face rigging , and stuff ... lots to do ... i dont enjoy the rigging side of things as much as modeling ....

Plats : yeah when i look at it i see GITS too , not quite got Iori pinned down yet ... eek , am i aloud to say that here? still , it cant be too bad having anything i do looking like shirows work , the guys a genius.

ok , heres the pic , remember the room is SOOO rushed , im talking 5 minutes work here ... classroom idea is the best , time to start again smile.gif hope i get the riggin sorted , i was inches from doing a anim when i found that litle critter....

keep the comments coming , you guys wont belive how important they are .. smile.gif

room.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Are there any shots of the mesh itself, you know, with lambert shading and wireframe?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 you , anything wink.gif

room2.jpg

remember , this isnt meant to be any particular polycount , just polys where i need them sorta thing for the right affect ... having said that , optimisations are welcome , as rendering times are always too slow for me .. smile.gif
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the Simple yet Tech look room. Suggestion pose? Have her Sitting the Chair with a book ? Oo;; Maybe? It looks surreal, reminds me a lil offhandishly like a Scene from a Austin Powers Type scene..... has a 60's feel to it
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I love this model.

One question, can you render the shadows so they can look like screen tones? I know the max ink'n'paint material isn't very friendly, but I wonder if there's a way to achieve that affect.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crits , thnx guys

Maestro : the animation i was just about to start was her sitting in the dhair reading , and rushing out to answer the phone tripping over somthing on the way .. think it looks 60s coz of the way the lighting makes circles on tha walls...

skankerzero : I had considered doing a stippled sortof printed look as the texture for the shaded areas ... wont be too hard to do .
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    A splash of colour will make it come alive. Like a lone red rose in a vase on the window.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor, when could we get a chance to see her in action?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe ,

Rick : now theres somthing i hadnt thought of smile.gif i was thinking of putting somthing like red on the cheeks , and maybe have te skin still white ...

Maestro : i may actually sit down tonight and animate her ... if i can fix the rig ... rigging isnt my strong pont , all those nodes liking to all those nodes etc ... i did put in some muscular stuff using set driven key , and some other fancy stuff ... so its got very complex

more to come very soon

keep the comments coming in smile.gif
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, make it a light pink rose a very lite blush to the cheeks and maybe!! just maybe a slight almost faint purple tint to her eyes. Rigging can be *hard* I still can't figure it out myself. But heres hope you got it ok.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Glomps* Upon Thermidor*
    Update? *poke pokes* I know you are working over there My Satelite Survi.....erm I mean what else could you be doing at this moment eh?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe , its now becoming top priority to get this one finished .. smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iori24.jpg

got round to sorting out the rig today .. i supose this is almost done ... i should make that background more detailed ...and do a quick animation ...
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    A bit of antialising would do wonders, otherwise absolutly stunning cool.gif
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The slight breeze effect does add to the posed stance. I like the stance you did go with as well something nonchalant and yet prof. Well done indeed.