Home Technical Talk

Sculpting fabric/wrinkles: Zbrush or Substance Painter?

prixster
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
prixster polycounter lvl 6
I am modeling a sofa which has good amount of wrinkles. Since i want to sculpt them in ZB and then bake the details in the Normal Map, one senior artist suggested me to paint the wrinkles using Height Brush in SP. He is telling it's non-destructive workflow (for eg. controlling height later). But I think that I have much more control on sculpting in ZB than in SP. Because in ZB we blur/smooth each stroke according to our needs whereas in SP i have to add a blur filter over height painted layer.
What do you think? Am i missing something?
Can you explain me in detail. Thanks.

Replies

• marvys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marvys null
    I prefer ZBrush for higher quality and larger wrinkles. SP has problems if wrinkles go across UV seams. The AO quality is also better if you bake it from a highpoly, in my opinion. I do like SP for adding smaller wrinkles/wrinkle maps ("memory folds") if those are needed. You can also use layers in ZBrush if you're worried about being able to undo something.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    For the best control, and thus the best quality, I do the sculpting in zbrush. For speed, modularity, or very fine, non-form-effecting wrinkles, I'll use some procedural noise in SP. Still something I am experimenting with a lot though, not a senior artist.
  • prixster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prixster polycounter lvl 6
    Okay, thanks for your suggestions. :)