Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Art Nouveau Style Train Carraige

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
I originally made this scene for a talk I did at a local university to video game students. I did a quick version to explain the process of creating environment art for high quality games. Im now spending some time finishing it off. So heres the images showing my workflow on this piece in order.

I looked at lots of reference and then drew a quick concept and decided on materials early on

Blockout and modular blockout test

highpoly!

highpoly modular test

assigning colour ids to verts on highpoly

texture painting in substance painter

more pics to come soon! Hope you enjoy seeing the process.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Working on lighting and composition tonight. Im thinking of doing 3 lighting/composition setups, night, morning sun and a spooky setup.

heres where Im at with the night time setup.

• Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not sure what is it exactly about this work, but i think it's colours. Absolutely love how it turned out, part of me wishes that it was a bit brighter and joyful but it's amazing either way! :)

Though, i think you should work more on textures, certain aspects such as leather on seats appear too glossy.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Aydhe said:
    I'm not sure what is it exactly about this work, but i think it's colours. Absolutely love how it turned out, part of me wishes that it was a bit brighter and joyful but it's amazing either way! :)

Though, i think you should work more on textures, certain aspects such as leather on seats appear too glossy.
    I agree! Its funny how it looks so much less glossy in substance painter. Anyway dont worry Im not done yet, 2 more styles of lighting and camera shot to come!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I finished it! Yaaay! I was inspired to create this piece by the incredible art nouveau architecture and art of the city of Vienna which my wife and I visited recently. The whole scene is 126660 triangles. Each modular section is 10644 triangles. There are 3 materials making up the scene, 2 of which use 1024s and 1 of which uses 2048s. I have made 3 compositions/lighting environments just for fun - 1 night, 2 morning sunrise, 3 spooky and mysterious.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    So glad people like this and very happy to see it made the front page of polycount news, thanks everyone, this community is great!
  • Sourav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sourav polycounter lvl 6
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Sourav said:
    love it ...  :)
    Thank you very much! :)

Ive just recently done an interview about the making of this environment on 80.lv , if anyone would like to know more about the process check it out https://80.lv/articles/high-quality-environments-from-start-to-finish/