Home Technical Talk

clean low poly topology

Elie
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Elie polycounter lvl 7
Hey all,
I'm searching some good references to explain and show some junior modelers what makes a beautiful mesh for rigging. I find some, but I feel like about 15 to 20 is not really enough to cover it all ;
Don't hesitate to post what you like, this could be a lot of help for others as well...!

I have to say that it would be for game engine, so really really low on polygons, and maybe (maybe) triangles would be fine, what do you think ?
Cheers

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Elie said:

I have to say that it would be for game engine, so really really low on polygons, and maybe (maybe) triangles would be fine, what do you think ?
    Cheers
    This isn't the 90's mate. It doesn't have to be that low anymore. Have you checked the wiki on here? Topology section: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Topology A great way to study topology is to rip examples from some of the UE4 sample scenes and export them to your DCC.

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Lowpoly mesh needs density at key areas (knees, elbows, ulnar styloid etc.) to hold up the shape:
    http://www.3dfiggins.com/writeups/paintingWeights/#density
  • Elie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elie polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot, I will check this, 
    musashidan, I need to be very low on polygon for VR, we can't be high-poly at all !
  • Elie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elie polycounter lvl 7
    Hey all, I work in Maya with the cleanup tool, but I can't understand what's going on with some vertices that are non-manifold. Any tips to help?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll need to post some screenshots.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Elie said:
    musashidan, I need to be very low on polygon for VR, we can't be high-poly at all !
    This is a similar myth to the "normal maps doesn't work in vr". They do. And you don't have to go so lowpoly either. VR isn't a hardware, its performance is determined by the videocard basically. Its just a way of displaying things. I was playing Elite Dangerous and Alien Isolation on vr, they are both fairly highpoly and they both run well even on earlier videocards. I'm sure there are other examples too. Expensive effects and materials rendered at high resolution are a much bigger bottleneck. Depending on the amount of characters rendered at the same time, you could actually go pretty highpoly without any issue. By pretty highpoly I mean 40k or more really shouldn't be a problem. But as we all know things depends on many factors. Like if you want to render crowds, thats a different question again, in that case you would need to be more careful but there are instancing systems even for skeletal meshes now, so...
  • Elie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elie polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you everybody for your answers. Eric I could not post screenshots, sorry about that. I found that vertices were highlighted with the clean up tool, but that was just to indicate uv borders I suppose.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Elie said:
    Thank you everybody for your answers. Eric I could not post screenshots, sorry about that. I found that vertices were highlighted with the clean up tool, but that was just to indicate uv borders I suppose.
    Don't guess. Read the manual. Every tool.in Maya has direct link to documentation in the top corner. 

Quickest way to cleanup funky geo is to delete and replace. As you get more experience you won't be making it much, so don't worry about it, just fix quick and keep moving.