Home Technical Talk

I cant see normal maps in the 3ds Max Viewport

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
rexus polycounter lvl 16
Hello I was wondering if any one else has this problem but no matter what setting i change or turn on i cant see normal maps with in the 3ds max view port I'm using 2017 and 18 to no avail.

Here my specs
 X370 killer SLI-MOBO
AmD Ryzen 7 1800x -CPU
Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming 8G -GPU
32 gbs DDR4 Ram

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the top left corner of the viewport click on the center label (yours says high quality), go down to materials and turn on "realistic materials with maps".

• rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks but is already on. If I tried to make it more prevlent but was on my way to bed. On the left next to the material editor high quality is turned on.

• Eric Chadwick
  • rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1-word answers come off as dismissive, so people are less likely to help you further. If you want to engage the community to help you, invest more research into the problem and share your findings. I was going to offer additional suggestions, but a 1-word response indicates to me you just don't care, so why should we? 

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    @ rexus

In your screenshot "Show in Viewport" is off.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
     a 1-word response indicates to me you just don't care, so why should we? 

This is precisely why I chose not to give my 2cents.
  • rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
    I answered while at work on my phone. I am a sheriff deputy I work in what is called  a secured facility. (Jail) . It's a felony to have a phone  in there so I answered as best I can and hoped I could get to my phone later but couldn't. We are locked in the the facility and are understaffed. So that being said i have a gif and will show me clicking the show in viewport button off and on. I decided to upload an image instead because I was tired. I work 12 hour shifts and at the time didn't realize the first image of the gif started with that ootion turned off.I don't understand the offence my answer had no inflection on the wording or was it sarcastic gesture. If I was able to I could have explained in more detail but I couldn't . To give more information though I have turned on every option that would work to have it work and still nothing I will post the gif when I get a chance to show what the image is to show.
  • rexus
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I apologize for seeming rude, looks like you have a difficult job.

There no way we can understand your situation, without you letting us know your situation. We see many people who just want fast answers, and who invest nothing back into the community. Your posts seemed to be phrased in this same style.

Read my link and you'll understand the sentiment.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if your RX 580 video card is compatible with the Nitrous DX11 viewport and it's switched to different mode like OpenGL or DX9? 

If you go into Customize > Preferences > Viewports tab, what is the driver set to, what can you change it to, do any of those options work?
    Also when was the last time you updated your video card drivers?

One word of caution, Autodesk only officially certifies "Pro Level Graphics Cards" the Quadro and FirePro lines. Of course their software runs on a lot of gaming cards but they just don't test or certify all of them. Historically Autodesk seems to favor and test more with Nvidia over ATI/AMD so most users tend to go with Nvidia. Something to probably keep in mind for future builds. I'm not saying it isn't compatible, but it doesn't show up on their list of tested cards for 3dsmax 2017 or 2018.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/sites/default/files/file_downloads/3dsmax2017_GFX_Results_Feb_2018.pdf

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Can you share your scene and couple of textures setup the way you think it should be working? I can open it on my PC which is very similar to yours.

• rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
    Mark Dygert   I have 3ds max in DX9 already for other view-port errors that show up. I did change it to see if the other modes worked and nothing worked OpenGL crash as so as i opened the program. Your correct about getting a GPU that is supported by 3ds max but like many artist i work in many other programs. I got the RX 580 before the mining boom so for the amount of ram i could get in in my price range i could turned down. 8gbs of ram that great for Photoshop, Aftereffects , substance painter and other programs where large scratch disc space or buffers are important.

monster Ok this i a image of the scene i sent you in Marmoset so you can see the normal maps work
    Here the scene 
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u-Vqc0XciP3GZA03KJUCskFqi_gNj0Yn

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I have the same video card, but I have an AMD ThreadRipper processor. If I open your file and and do "Show Realistic Maps in Viewport" it works for me. (Well, it's not setup correctly, but it shows up.)

1. The Green channel is already flipped. The normal bump node is unflipping it. So I unchecked it for the screenshot below.
    2. You have Gamma enabled. Your normal map is being gamma corrected. See second screenshot for how to disable that.

But, neither of these things will help you get the map showing in the viewport if you've already tried "Show Realistic Maps In Viewport".
    Sorry.

• rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
    Thank the flipped normals and the gamma is because a cant see anything to adjust it correctly thanks for the help. I narrows out the graphics card im going to try a fresh install

• Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    rexus said:
    Mark Dygert   I have 3ds max in DX9 already for other view-port errors that show up.
    The viewport preview will only work when using Nitrous.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    @rexus if you didn’t modify the Program Files directory you don’t need a fresh install. Just go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax

and rename toe 2017 folder to 2017.old. This will reset all the setting.
  • rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
    thanks for the help every one \
    Mark Dygert  i tried every Veiwport mode thanks anyway / but do you mean the Software version the DX9 and DX11 are both Nitrous?
    monster dang i wish I know this earlier I setup and install this morning and just came home to the new install
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Sorry about the misunderstanding above. You did admit to a felony though. You should edit your post. :)
    Yes, it's displaying for me perfectly as well. Max 2018/Nitrous default/1060gpu.

Have you tried rendering the maps? Just another step in troubleshooting. ART physical material is set up for a metal/rough workflow. As Mark Dygert mentioned, making sure your NM(and all other linear maps) aren't double gamma-ed by overriding to 1.0, and swizzle flipping Y(green) are the main things to make sure you have correct.

I know it's not very helpful but just thought I'd let you know that the asset itself is behaving as expected. Do you have any other versions of Max installed that you could test on?