Home Unreal Engine

VR Projects Basics / issues

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ivanortega polycounter lvl 6
Hi Everyone! I'm starter on VR projects in unreal 4 and I want to begin learning how to do it . I have knowledges about Unreal in general.
I worked in some productions but I was 3D artist.

I 'd like know what parameters are necessary to optimize a VR project. I need your support polycounters.

Hope you can support me! 

Huge thanks! :)

Replies

• Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    I've just started as well, so I'm going to favorite this post :smiley:

From what I gather at least is you're gonna have the 4k mindset, since VR requires some pretty high resolution to display properly, so optimizing LODs is going to be a must to display high resolution meshes and textures up close, as the player will be able to put their litteral nose on objects.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    On this gen of HMD you're going to blow your texture memory budget real fast if you're using 4k textures everywhere, unless you make them atlases and limit the number of materials used in your scenes drastically. In order to get crisp textures without resorting to this technique I'm just doubling the texel density I would normally use in a normal scenario (1024/sqm). You just have to use more tricks to break the tiling and really go easy with details on textures that are going to be repeated a lot such as floors, walls, etc. Decals, normal decals, world space masks, foliage, props... you have to resort to the entire arsenal. As for using generic texture and still keeping visual interest I find Chronos (Gunfire Game) to be a good inspiration - there are really some cool scenes to look at.
  • ivanortega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just started as well, so I'm going to favorite this post :smiley:

From what I gather at least is you're gonna have the 4k mindset, since VR requires some pretty high resolution to display properly, so optimizing LODs is going to be a must to display high resolution meshes and textures up close, as the player will be able to put their litteral nose on objects.
    Thanks for your suipport. I'll prepare my textures in 4K and LODs models.  
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, by "4k" I don't mean 4096*4096, instead I'd advocate for as much texture re-use as possible and intelligent material instanciation.

For instance, using 2048² normal and albedo, and add tiling 1048² detail maps to save on memory.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I think what lord fryingpan is getting at is that  you need to hit a higher perceived texel density than an equivalent non-VR game . 
    This is entirely true. 

I wrote a bunch of stuff I learnt about material design in the other VR thread in this section of the forum
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up I'm gonna take a looksy there.
  • ivanortega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re said:
    On this gen of HMD you're going to blow your texture memory budget real fast if you're using 4k textures everywhere, unless you make them atlases and limit the number of materials used in your scenes drastically. In order to get crisp textures without resorting to this technique I'm just doubling the texel density I would normally use in a normal scenario (1024/sqm). You just have to use more tricks to break the tiling and really go easy with details on textures that are going to be repeated a lot such as floors, walls, etc. Decals, normal decals, world space masks, foliage, props... you have to resort to the entire arsenal. As for using generic texture and still keeping visual interest I find Chronos (Gunfire Game) to be a good inspiration - there are really some cool scenes to look at.
    How can I change the texel density? I know that is most important in VR proyects but I don´t know how I can do it. I'll try this that game! 

I know I have to use a intelligent material instanciation.

Thanks! ^^
  • ivanortega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, by "4k" I don't mean 4096*4096, instead I'd advocate for as much texture re-use as possible and intelligent material instanciation.

For instance, using 2048² normal and albedo, and add tiling 1048² detail maps to save on memory.
    Without roughness and specular map? What does "detail map" mean? detail normal map or what?  
    So... I used 1024 textures anytime but... I have never seen 1048 resolution map.

Thanks for your support man. 
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for being unclear, I usually stick my roughness in the alpha of the albedo. As for detail maps, I mean textures that add color variation, and detail in normals.

Also I meant 1024², maybe typed a bit too quickly.

Regarding texel density, that just means the resolution of your textures, which is to say the number of pixels / unit of distance in the game.
  • ivanortega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello polycounters!

Today I have a new issue about main motion controller blueprint...
    I'm building an aplication where I can pickup some objects of my level. This object has a bluprint based on empty VR proyect layout but I changed it a little bit.

I would like the object can be grab with a "snap effect"... So it is so easy to me. I should only change "LocationRule" and "RotationRule to "snap to target" option in the "AttachToComponent" node. Like this:

BUUUT... when I pickup this object he turn his local rotation -90º. Then I added "AddLocalRotation" to fix this problem.

Well, now the object turn in the direction I want... but now in the left hand the object turn 180º... It is like a mirror behavior. I see that the object rotate in the opposite direction than in the right hand...

I need to align the object with my hand correctly.

I hope you support me. I'm desperate!

Thanks guys!

• Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you could reorient your sockets in a way that suits your needs.
  • ivanortega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you could reorient your sockets in a way that suits your needs.
    I'm not sure if hands has sockets that you say... ohh... You meant pickable object socket, right? 

If my object doesn't have a socket, should I create it?  :o
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it would help you achieve what you're trying to do.