Home Unreal Engine

Importin a Multi-Chain rig from maya to unreal... possible?

so my friend finished rigging my character, but its not all under one root joint. The shoulder are separate, and the rig use parent constraints. Is there a way to import this rig as an animation to unreal engine? :c 

Can i bake the animation and just export it as an fbx to unreal? (i mean technically still using the same rig but...)
Or i can convert every single vertex into a joint maybe?

Pls help :c the deadline is getting really soon and we cannot afford redoing the whole rig

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    No. Unless the mesh parts are also separate. Then you could attach them inside unreal. That would be done by exporting each separated parts as individual fbxes, and attaching them in unreal, either in a prefab-like blueprint, or by adding sockets to the attach points, and dragging them onto each other in the scene outliner.

But unreal supports only one root bone in a hierarchy. It even tells you when you try to import one with multiple roots. Next time you could save yourself some time and headache, by first doing some initial tests, before doing such a complex task. Imagine if there wouldn't be a workaround....
  • hegvbwkeuyrv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it possibl to make another rig with the same joint position, all connected to one root, and the same place as the maya rig. Connet the translate, rotate, and scale. Then bake aniimation to that joint? How does the skinning work on that second rig tho?

So i only export the combined mesh and the second rig as the skeletal meshes. Will it work if i have a wrap deform?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Can you do me a favor and instead of asking so many things, try anything yourself? Do you maybe want me to do the whole task instead of you as well? Dont worry, you can keep the money. Baking should be possible but the deform should be baked too. Every modifier should be baked as unreal isnt an animation nor modeling tool.