Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Getting the timing down

Dean here.
I'm working on this ball animation and I'm looking for some feedback. In particular, if anyone has advice on how a ball rolls down a slope that would be great because I feel like I'm just grabbing the z rotate and spinning it at random.
Thanks in advance,
Dean

https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/3b6f10afb9a7/

Replies

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    Can't give detailed feedback at the moment but the biggest issue seems to be timing related. Everything seems to take a consistent amount of time to happen rather than having any ease in or out to it. Also your curves are quite rough at the moment. Before you worry about rotations I would nail the translation of the ball.

You are definitely along the right track however you need to go through and really start to hammer the timings of everything to move it away from a constant speed. Once I have my tablet handy I can give you more detail on your Syncsketch link, in the mean time somebody more experiences maybe able to explain it better!

You can see in the above image that while in the air there are more frames to make the action slower. Now in software your curves can help you do this however this image may help you visualize the timing and spacing of your own keys a bit better. This one is also delving into squash and stretch as well so once you have the timings nailed a bit better you can look at adding that to bring the piece more life.

Hammering these essentials home will get you well on your way so keep at it and post another update once you progress!
  • deanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks man 
    I'll try it again
  • deanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to animate the start with proper timing this time. Just want to make sure im on the right path.
    Thanks,
    Deano

• deanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to better the timing on all of the movements. With this exercise, I really started to doubt my ability to judge if the animation was getting better. Any tips on stopping an animation becoming plateaued?