Home Technical Talk

[MAYA] How can I reduce the ridiculous number of tris my hard surface models take up?

Turbopasta
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
This might be a problem with my workflow, but I'm not exactly sure how to correct this. When I'm doing hard surface in Maya, I find that I'm using multicut and edgeloop really often. I find that I usually use edgeloop just because I can't seem to get good bevels with multicut sometimes, if they work at all that is. 

I've been working on this relatively simple model for longer than I'd care to admit, and I'm spending a dumb amount of time just ironing out unneeded tris. The obvious benefit to having this many tris is that it makes any textures I apply to the thing come out clearer, but what about when stuff is just totally flat like this? Is there any quick automated way to fix stuff like this?

Here's what I had earlier tonight: 

And here's what I reduced it to, through manually shift-selecting and deleting most edgeloops on the flat parts: 

And here's a before and after of the front of the thing. Before:

...and after: 

This is before triangulating the model, and it mostly looks good after triangulation as well. This took longer than it probably should have since if I just double-clicked on an edgeloop, sometimes it would delete important parts of the geometry of other parts of the mesh. Are there any simple things I can do that I might not already be doing? Is this a redundant way to build hard-surface geometry? I'm sort of just looking for some general advice here, thanks. 

Replies

• Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    You can make all those boards floaters that simply intersect and overlap.
    Including those chamferered edges it'll be 8 polys / 12 verts per board:

In an example of a 15x15 grid of boards, that comes to a total of 240 polys and 360 vertices:

... instead of 4349 polys and 3960 verts. 

Floaters will also be beneficial for UVs.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Agreed and wasted texture space lost is usually pretty minor since you're overlapping thin areas anyway. Less work for such a large object and only slightly poorer efficiency (in terms of textures), is not always a bad thing.
  • Turbopasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
    Thanez said:
    You can make all those boards floaters that simply intersect and overlap.
    Including those chamferered edges it'll be 8 polys / 12 verts per board:

In an example of a 15x15 grid of boards, that comes to a total of 240 polys and 360 vertices:

... instead of 4349 polys and 3960 verts. 

Floaters will also be beneficial for UVs.
    I haven't heard the term "floaters" before. You're just talking about having several separate meshes (in your case, rectangles) combined or in one group with each other as opposed to having all vertices connected with another vertices somewhere on the mesh, right? I just tested this with a shape similar to the one you made. I've got Maya, not 3DSMax but I'm guessing the same principle applies. It looks like once you combine everything, you can just generate a UV for all of the combined shapes at once, which is something I didn't know you could do, I thought they had to be seperate for some reason.

Is it really as easy as this? I was taught in school to avoid doing this and always thought it was taboo for some reason. It really wouldn't have any negative performance or rendering-related consequences if done this way, be it for rendering or for games? I know these are basic questions but I always have sort of tried to avoid doing things this way so you could say I'm a bit in the dark here. 

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Nah this is usually quite quick to render these days, the main reason it's shunned against is because you have gaps in your textures that are wasted since they're hidden behind geometry. As long as it's not too much wasted texture space it should be fine! Not sure on this but I think it used to be the case that degenerate tris would get created when you have multiple triangle strips like this and in this case there would be a lot! But these days you can just start a new triangle strip.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    No matter how you make your model, UV unwrapping simply means that you are breaking your model down -- just like flattening cardboard boxes-- so that it can all be layed out in 2d space. 

So if you do separate pieces like suggested, you are going to have a very easy time laying out your UV's, as you will just be breaking apart rectangles. 

• Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    For models like this where there are a lot of overlap, there will be wasted space on the UVs whether you use floaters or not. My way will have hidden pixels on each board for each overlap. Splitting everything off will probably have more wasted pixels if you want your textures to have an appropriate amount of padding between those >400 UV shells, assuming you're planning on baking normals for this.
    What I'm saying here is that with this is a balancing of pros and cons, as with every single other aspect of graphics.