Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

*Critique needed please!* - 3D Artist - Portfolio

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
JamieRead greentooth
Hi everyone,

After a tough couple of years where I couldn't get much art done outside of my day job (personal reasons), I had started to get back into the swing of things in the second half of last year. I finished a small diorama project and I am making good progress on my current one, 'Seagull Shack'.

Last week at my current generalist 3D Art games job, I was notified my role is no longer needed as the company pivot their business strategy, so redundancy is all but confirmed for me, until it's made official in a few days time (not good!).

I have added all the latest projects I had worked on to my Artstation over the weekend, with my current project going to be finished off and added later this week. Environment art is the more focused area that has always interested me most and I much prefer stylized game art, so I will be creating art in that field going forward.

*I am seeking critiques and feedback on my current portfolio and advice going forward, please.*

Thanks for your time, any help is greatly appreciated.
 <3 

Jamie

jamieread3d.artstation.com

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Hey there
    I think only thing that you have to change is lighting in your first environment (Escape Hunt: The Lost Temples - Environments) First 3 have to much and even  light especially both with torches and outside temple scene have boring and flat lighting , if sun is going to set there should be long shadows everywhere
    All the other stylize things are really nice

• JamieRead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRead greentooth
    @carvuliero
    Thanks. Unfortunately this game has shipped, so is no longer editable.
    The overall brightness of the room was a decision from the Leads, as it was a little hard to find small objects in the room on device. I agree about the stronger light and cast shadows coming in though, that did look better when it was in the game too. Again, it was changed.
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    I think youre off to a solid start, you have some great pieces for mobile games.  Best of luck finding work
  • JamieRead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRead greentooth
    @jose.fuentes
    Thanks. I'm focusing more on environments once my current project is finished within the next week. Learning Zbrush is on the list to open up more opportunities of working on other games outside of mobile in the future.
  • Kingdan97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kingdan97 null
    If you’re targetting mobile stylized development you’re already pretty well on target since you’ve got a good amount of work from 4 shipped titles up there. If you’re looking to move up into console development I would say getting a piece out that looks like work from the studios you would want to apply to into your portfolio is a good bet.

Definitely expanding your skillset into Zbrush is useful, if that tileable floor texture is in any way indicative of the type of work you’d like to be doing I would recommend getting into Substance, because while your work there looks great any modern studio would have someone crank that out in maybe an hour using Designer.
  • JamieRead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRead greentooth
    @Kingdan97
    Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.
    The aim of the next project I do will be a small scale environment, with a lot of it involving sculpting it in Zbrush.
    As for the tileable floor texture, that one is an older piece (which will probably be taken down eventually) from just before Substance Designer was a thing. That is just another package to learn at some point too  :D