Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Marvelous Designer-Blender-Topogun-Substance Designer] a T-shirt I am working on.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4

Hello, I posted a question a few days ago (blimey, actually about 20 days ago!) asking about the best 'pose' for modelling things because a t-pose seemed to cause exaggerated creases in Marvelous Designer on the shoulders of the model.

http://polycount.com/discussion/197863/i-am-making-a-hoody-in-marvelous-designer-i-have-a-few-questions

anyway I decided to change from making a hoodie to making a tshirt because things like the inside of the hood are a little to fidety and complicated for what Im trying to do.

I was following several youtube tutorials for Topogun and I found it confusing to use/and or the video tutorials were difficult to follow.

so my goal is simply learning character design, or things like modular clothing/body parts which you find in openworld games etc nowdays.

I would like some advice on a better work flow for what Im doing.

Here is some information on the software Im using and the experience I have.

Blender: 5 years, lots of experience baking high poly textures/normal maps, not much experience with organic meshes though.

Marvelous Designer" 4 years, lots of experience making complicated garments, little experience exporting them. (However I havent bothered to learn recent things like buttons or topstiching.)

Substance Designer: 3 years, lots of experience exporting to Unity and making pbr textures, however Im not 100 percent sure if Im actually doing  things correctly.

Unity: 5 years, but I only use it for placing objects and applying textures etc. I dont do any coding, animations, effects or armatures. etc.

Currently (for this tshirt mesh anyway), I make the model in MD, then export the obj to Topogun, the youtube tutorial I followed said I should weld the mesh, then remove doubles once in blender, I experimented with welded and unwelded, and I noticed the unwelded model had some split edges which helped highlight the edge of the collar etc. I have no idea if what I was doing was correct or bad.

I experimented a few times to get good/better topography, and I tried my best to avoid triangles.

Once complete, I had to export the low poly back to Blender to make a new UV map, export back to Topogun.
A friend suggested I switch to Zbrush as it can do Topography and UV maps etc. and this exporting thing can get very confusing.

I baked the maps in Topogun, but I also experimented with Blender renders' baking of some maps to compare, also I was able to make a map which have the curves of the highpoly with the cotton texture combined (I only know how to do this in Blender, I have no idea what this technique is called or how to do it in other software.)

Once I did those bakes, I went to Substance Designer, however usually with substance designer I make concrete/metal objects such as industrial furiture etc, and this is the first time I've done fabric so I was a little bit confused with what to do, so I just threw together some basic nodes to get what you see in the Unity screenshot.

Any suggestions would be welcome.