Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lost Chateau - Abandoned 18th Century Palace Interior

Turks
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Turks polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone!

I've been slowly chippin away at this for a few weeks now. Figured I would start a thread to track my progress. Enjoy and C&C is welcome!

This image of the billiard room in Napoleon's Chateau de Malmaison was the primary inspiration for the setting. It's where much of the color and props will come from as well.

These are the main moodboards atm:

Setting: These are overall inspiration. I want more plant life than destruction since the idea is that it was abandoned rather than bombed/destroyed/etc. but there will be plenty of rubble and wear as well.

Lighting: I want soft archviz rendering style lighting spilling in over the whole scene with just a few bits of the warm sun coming in the windows. 

And finally here's the progress so far. Preliminary lighting is beginning to get there and the materials are mostly placeholder for them moment. The main focus of the scene is the billiard salon and the adjacent gallery/stairs one room over, but we'll be able to get peeks down the halls into the rooms further down.

Replies

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Definitely liking the vibe of the scene. So far the lighting is on point. Good job. I'll give this one a follow.
  • Turks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turks polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks samnwck!

Made some good progress today. Finished up making a solid first pass on the doors and windows, and worked on the materials and lighting a bit more. 

Lots of different angles to view today!

• CrackRockSteady
    This is coming along really nicely, lighting looks very cool.

You might try adding a bit of trim along the bottom of the walls.  Currently looks a little bit strange where the walls meet the tile floor.
  • samdelfanti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samdelfanti polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good so far. You might want to re place that tipped over chair. It looks a bit like it is floating.
  • Turks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turks polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys! 

Not a ton of progress the last couple days, but wanted to post a couple shots before it starts getting super grungy. Just spent most of my time in substance making/fine tuning the existing materials. Not sure if I'll move to the rubble or the foliage next, but hopefully I'll find some time in the next few days here. Enjoy

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Looking fantastic, just one thing that break realism is the end part of staircase railing end support (i could be wrong) the extruded bit on side is continuous as if made out of rubber or soft material but its wood so it would have been placed in 4 sections and you would be able to see a seam line where pieces connect. 
  • Turks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turks polycounter lvl 9
    Finally got around to start making the initial foliage today. Nothing crazy and still a metric ton to do, but I've never made any foliage at all before so it was fun to learn and experiment with something new!

Still have to assemble most of the pieces but I have all the meshes baked out and textured. Good progress today overall. 

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    It's looking good still. I can see the vision, however I'm not sold on how the plants are coming out of the floor. It might be nice to have a subset of plants that come out from a single line so you can have them coming up from between the tiles in an authentic way. On top of that find a way to make the plants growing in large bunches to make it look like they're not just coming right out of the tile (I assume this is already in the works, but I thought I'd mention it)
  • Turks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turks polycounter lvl 9
    HAWK12HT said:
    Looking fantastic, just one thing that break realism is the end part of staircase railing end support (i could be wrong) the extruded bit on side is continuous as if made out of rubber or soft material but its wood so it would have been placed in 4 sections and you would be able to see a seam line where pieces connect. 
    Thanks for the tip. Good catch!
    samnwck said:
    It's looking good still. I can see the vision, however I'm not sold on how the plants are coming out of the floor. It might be nice to have a subset of plants that come out from a single line so you can have them coming up from between the tiles in an authentic way. On top of that find a way to make the plants growing in large bunches to make it look like they're not just coming right out of the tile (I assume this is already in the works, but I thought I'd mention it)
    For sure, appreciate the insight. Agreed overall, still lots to do this is just the first tests. Great idea about the ground cover springing up in the grout lines of the tile!. I'll experiment with that!

Working on creating a vert painting material and tinkering with more foliage this morning. So far so good. Still have a few ground textures to make. Primarily a 'forest floor' texture with leaves/twigs/dirt etc.