Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] SIG MPX

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Azurenito polycounter lvl 4
Just a personal project. The sig mpx. Hope you like it. The main texture will be 8K and other attachment might be around 4K or 2K. The project will focus more on quality instead of in-game performance. 

The first highpoly renders. Magazine still lowpoly. :smile:

Replies

• Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on WIP of Sig MPX. 8K Map baked. This project is to focus on texturing and presentation. Having a very nice closeup and high-density texture-info is how I'm approaching this. No technical restriction.  ;) 

Hope you guys like it. Thanks for checking it out! :D 
     Feeback is always welcome!

• Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the UVs. Forgot to include it in the above post. XD. 

• Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, pass on base textures and decal. I put little more loves on the handle. Hope you guys like it! :) Critiques are always welcome!

• MMattice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMattice polycounter lvl 4
    Sweet looking MPX! I have a question about your sling though. I am working on a project  that has a carrying rope with a similar look to the sling, and I am having a hell of a time trying to UV it in Maya. Everytime I go about UVing it like a normal object it always spits out these really wonky UV islands. Is there a trick to UVing objects like your sling? 

I've seen this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dahgVetfUZg

I haven't been able to try that out yet, but will later today. I am just not sure if this method will work on something that is not cylindrical. 
    Any tips? 
  • Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMattice said:
    Sweet looking MPX! I have a question about your sling though. I am working on a project  that has a carrying rope with a similar look to the sling, and I am having a hell of a time trying to UV it in Maya. Everytime I go about UVing it like a normal object it always spits out these really wonky UV islands. Is there a trick to UVing objects like your sling? 

I've seen this method: https://www.youtube.com/wach?v=dahgVetfUZg

I haven't been able to try that out yet, but will later today. I am just not sure if this method will work on something that is not cylindrical. 
    Any tips? 
    Thanks! 

About UV unwrapping. The tip I can give you is when unwrapping curvy shapes, always try to have it straight horizontal or vertical. This will reduce pixel stepping in textures.

Back when I was using Maya, that's basically the workflow for unwrapping those type of shapes. Right now, my main 3d package is 3dsMax. For this software, I usually would use the toolkit like Straighten Selection and combination with Align Vert/Horiz to Pivot if needed. 

Thanks for dropping by and good luck on your project! 
  • Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on texturing. Crits always welcome! Thanks! 

What I like
    -I think the base materials looks quite nice. It's nothing fancy. It basically consists of semi rusted steel and dust/dirt. 
    -The way materials reflect the lights, it looks wet and shiny. I think looks interesting, because it's exaggerating the shadows which creating depth. This definitely something I'm very of proud. 
    -Getting the magazine to look transparent/clouded was very tricky. It doesn't look quite right yet so I'll be sure to do more adjusting. 

The UGLY thing that needs to go: XD
    -I think the big white scratch needs to go. The placement doesn't seem right. The idea is to have some heavy damage to body area.
    -strap material looks a bit boring. 
    -edge wear. 
    -Need some easter egg. ;)

Hope you guys like it! btw, the renders are 4K. 

• MMattice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMattice polycounter lvl 4
    Azurenito said:
    MMattice said:

I've seen this method: https://www.youtube.com/wach?v=dahgVetfUZg

Any tips? 
    Thanks! 

About UV unwrapping. The tip I can give you is when unwrapping curvy shapes, always try to have it straight horizontal or vertical. This will reduce pixel stepping in textures.

Back when I was using Maya, that's basically the workflow for unwrapping those type of shapes. Right now, my main 3d package is 3dsMax. For this software, I usually would use the toolkit like Straighten Selection and combination with Align Vert/Horiz to Pivot if needed. 

Thanks for dropping by and good luck on your project! 
    Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to unwrap it straight, and this really helped a lot. Thanks!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks good, the composition of the first image is really cool with the flow of the slings, id definitely take that for your final shot again
    The edge wear is a good start, the small scale details are nice but there is little variation in the materials right now, nearly all edge wear is in small scale thin lines and too much/even at places, try to add more large scale variation, maybe a slight bit of color variation and more in roughness. It looks a bit like a typical substance wear and tear job right now, especially from further away

some places have wear which would probably have little wear, and some obvious ones, like the cylinders lack it, or where you touch with your fingers . Adding a little color variation to the metal and the rubber/mag also helps distinguish the materials, right now its all very even

Thats probably too much but its to illustrate what I mean
  • Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shrike This is awesome feedback! Thank you so much!
  • Square_Triangle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job so far. My friend has one. The rear iron sight will be in the down position when using the red dot optic. The dust cover and hinge area are good places to put some wear as well as places where accessories such as lights were attached to the rail. The takedown pin area usually has some wear from using the magazine base, etc., to push them out.
  • gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gametime polycounter lvl 8
    modeling wise - you are good. 
    texture wise - you are getting there. But think a bit more about placement of scratches and what materials you are working with. Follow the PBR guides and don't add scratches in concave areas. Also: Sometimes less is more ;)