Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Survivalist Bowhunter

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
samnwck polycounter lvl 9
Current Progress:

Here's a new character I'm working on, I will have a proper moodboard soon. Just finished up the medium poly head, would love some crits if there's anything out of place with the facial anatomy.

Don't mind the temp 'makeup' as it were, it's purely there for display purposes to make her look more human.

Replies

• Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Nothing much to say for the moment, looks good :D but the titile totally get me haha i wanna see your refs or moodboard!!
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha fair enough. Here's my moodboard. Not incredibly populated, but I think it gets across where I want the project to go. 

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    cool, Ill follow this
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the medium poly. Planning to do a proper retopo to get better topology instead of just dynamesh. Let me know if there are any issues with the anatomy (minus the feet, need proper topology to sculpt them properly). 

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First clothing pass out of marvelous designer. Still needs lots of refinement sculpting-wise but I like the way it's looking. Would like to hear your thoughts.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to rework somethings and add more accessories etc. Let me know your thoughts.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress. Processed the raw exports from Marvelous to proper geometry. Finished my boot blockout and started doing my high poly boots, though they still need proper high poly detailing. Bow has been blocked out. Still trying to figure out design language that looks interesting, but not too complex, still looking for a good balance but I think I like the general idea of what I have. Started adding finer detailing to the clothing (about halfway done, mostly just the shirt left). 

Here's the current progress, comments and crits appreciated!

Boot high poly blockout

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished most of the boots. Still minor tweaks to be done but they don't really need to go tooooo much further since for the most part they're not a huge part of the character. Overall I'm pretty happy with them though.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting close finishing the high poly. Still need to do the face and hands. Decided to take a look at the silhouette as well and I like how it reads so far. 

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing facial detail. Used Texturing xyz for the majority of the details and then polypainted.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some haircards and a more complete hat. 

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Face more complete. Took a while to get the eyes looking tolerable, still probably could be better but I'm satisfied for now.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Putting the final touches on her clothing. Next step low poly and baking

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I updated. Finally in the texturing phase, still needs a dirtiness pass as most of the things are still very clean looking. Would like some critique.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress:

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Really awesome. My only critique is that, for a bowhunter (who I generally regard as pretty hardcore people), she has like, the softest most gentle baby face. She isn't convincing me that shes going to launch a broadhead through a bears heart at all. Not to say she has to be a mega-badass looking person, but perhaps some expression is in order for a final render?

But all in all, I really admire your work here. It's so clean and polished looking. The boots in particular -- I'd love to see a tutorial/breakdown of how you did those.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get what you're saying about the face looking more feminine than rough, but I was going for something close to my references which I'd say don't look especially rough and tough, but more like regular women. However I am still planning to add some mud on the clothes, and maybe some on the face as well. But yeah for the final render she will be posed out and everything.

Thanks for the comment though, I feel like I've been working in such a bubble on this project as I haven't really had much outside input on the project. 

As for the boots I can put together a tutorial, I'm fairly sure I still have all the files that show the process. It probably looks better further away than up close but for my purposes it worked well enough. It will probably take a few days to put together since I have small vacation planned for the weekend and all that but I should be able to get something together when I get back.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be awesome. For the treads of the boot, I am guessing you did something like get ahold of a boot sole pattern/design and used that as a reference to paint a mask in Zbrush, then inflate or move the knobby pieces outwards? 

Two more minor critiques after admiring the model a bit more : The broadhead's look dull and not very metallic. All of the broadhead's I've seen IRL are literally razor sharp and usually stainless steel with a nice sheen. Maybe you don't want so much flash, but I think a little extra oomph could help sell their deadliness/make them more interesting.

And the beanie material looks a bit plasticky. 
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree with you on the beanie, not quiet sure how i can tackle that, but I think a cavity map I think will help it look better. Other than that I don't have many options other than tessellation or something. So I decided to put together the tutorial for you today. Hope it helps. I derived it off of a technique I saw Michael Pavlovich do on one of his streams. Note that the parts about separating the objects in max and then having to reweld them is superfluous if you want to just use something like Zmodeler to make your polygroups. Separating them in max was just faster for me so your mileage may vary.

The advantage to the technique is that you get a really clean mesh to put details on. You probably could do other techniques for a similar result using Zremesher but this way was pretty quickest for me to do and still get a pretty good result.

As for the arrows, I wanted to make them look almost homemade and they've been worn and not sharpened in a bit, just the aesthetic I went for. You can see them closer here. I wanted them to have a coating on them as opposed to bare metal that's slowly been worn away after repeated sharpening and all that. 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. Thanks a ton for that. Totally different workflow than what I imagined. 

As for the broadheads -- yeah those look fantastic up close. I think in the further away shots they just got blurred, and I couldn't see how much thought and detail you put into them. 

Thanks for the breakdown!
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say this is just about done. Ground textures and clovers are Megascans, Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 3.

• Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Nice job i like it :) the kind of bow looks a bit simple, it would have been nice to see a more complex one (like that : https://www.hunting-bow.com/collections/compound-bows ) but i know it's a complexpiece deserving a project by itself :p Nice renders too!
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I was originally going to do one but I decided i liked the look of a recurve better, but I'd agree it'd probably have added a bit more complexity to the character. 
  • olegpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    olegpic polycounter lvl 8
    Nice job! But I wouldn't put the well-made boots in such grass))
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude! I figured what I'd be losing by not showing the shoes was less than what was gained by having the foliage in the shot. However I will be adding more shots on artstation without the base and all of that to show off the shoes.