Home Technical Talk

xgen beginner woes

Adamp34
node
Offline / Send Message
Adamp34 node
I'm trying to learn how to use xgen and it seems i'm unable to generate functional maps. I keep getting errors like this:

// Error: XGen:  Searched path includes:
                 /Users/adamphillips/Pictures/maya leaning projects/FARMER_JOHN_BEAUTIFUL_GAME/xgen/collections/collection/description/paintmaps/Region/untitled/bust_skin.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
                 /Users/adamphillips/xgen/description/paintmaps/Region/untitled/bust_skin.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)
                 /Applications/Autodesk/maya2016/plug-ins/xgen/presets/description/paintmaps/Region/untitled/bust_skin.ptx (Part of path doesn't exist)  //

For some reason 'untitled' keeps being generated as part of the directory path but the folder itself ddoes not exist. I also keep getting an error where xgen does not generate a directory at all but I am stll able to produce primitives.

Totally confused....

Replies

• Adamp34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adamp34 node
    Ok, I found the solution in the end. The trick is to not have any spaces in the folder names....not just in the project, but also in al other folders leading to the hard drive. The whole path to the drive needs to be clean from spaces and illegal characters.
  • ysiegel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysiegel null
    What software are you using?
    I highly recommend the tutorials by Daryl Obert on how to use Xgen for Maya. Very well explained and thurough...

• Adamp34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adamp34 node
    Nice! Thanks so much for this! I think what’s missing are more in depth tutorials like this. It always looks simple until
    you try it out and maya flashes something red and says NO!
  • Adamp34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adamp34 node
    Just as an idiot question though, under what circumstance is it better to transform xgen in to actual geometry?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    When you need to bake it, export it or look at it with textures on  - otherwise try to avoid it because maya can't do lots of geometry in the viewport without puking. 

If your'e afraid of losing work, use caches to store your grooms etc.  presets are really flaky so can't be relied on