Home Technical Talk

Best method for barely-moving hair Maya?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ch0bra polycounter lvl 2
Pretty much exactly what it says in the title - what are your opinions when it comes to making hair that doesn't need much movement, if any?

The reason for my posting this is because I need my latest character to have eyebrows, and no matter what I do with the dynamic settings they move far too much. As eyebrows they don't really need to blow around or be affected by gravity, but despite scouring the internet for advice, nothing seems to be applicable to my situation. 

In the end I converted my paint fx into polygons, and wrap deformed them to the mesh. This gave me the movement I needed, but I had to save the file on an external HDD to bring it home (overseas) with me to work on my laptop. I opened it up and it simply wouldn't function the way it had done before. I've been experimenting since (was supposed to be well into animation by now, but unfortunately things keep getting in the way) and am still struggling to replicate what I had before - which was static hair but obviously clung to, and deformed with the model. 

Some of the results I got using the nHair workflow with dynamics were really unusual, with hair breaking off and moving in weird directions, penetrating the model despite using passive colliders, among a few of the weird issues I had.

While I realise this makes me look like a hair/dynamics noob (I'll admit it, I have sort of just gone with bald characters up until now haha), I've been helped out by fellow polycounters before, and I'm hoping to get a collection of opinions on this thread, to help both me and anyone else that might find themselves lost and furiously googling! 

Thanks in advance for any replies guys! Happy rendering! 

Replies

• ch0bra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ch0bra polycounter lvl 2
    Just to add to this, here is a link of the render I took when it worked originally. Absolutely no idea why the wrap deformer no longer acts in the same way. To my understanding, starting from scratch, building the hair again and going through the whole process should have worked (as it did last time) but for some reason I'm still stuck here. Obviously it's just a very quick test!

Apologies for the insta link, it's the only place I have the video.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The simple way I know is to do it like your current setup. The Head as a wrap for the eyebrow strip, which has paint effects follicles painted on to it. All you should need for eyebrows is to set the hairsystem's simulation mode to "static". The follicles follow the geometry + normals with nothing flying off, trying to simulate gravity or collisions.

• ch0bra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ch0bra polycounter lvl 2
    @throttlekitty

Hey yeah, that's what I thought! However when I've tried to set the hair to static it doesn't follow the mesh, at least not when animated. I've taken a quick playblast for you to take a look, the hair moves appropriately when moving the character on one frame. Seems very unusual to me.

Thanks for the reply, hope you have an idea whats up with this haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNXJGfxqfAI&feature=youtu.be

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah you're right, it's been a while. I hadn't actually animated in my little test scene. If I also uncheck Use Nucleus Solver on the hairsystem node it animates for me while in static mode.
  • ch0bra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ch0bra polycounter lvl 2
    @throttlekitty
    Thanks! I'll try that next time, though I already worked around it in a different way this time! Just to be clear, do you mean if you set the simulation mode to static, and also uncheck the nucleaus solver in the hairsystem, it works? Cheers!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it worked for me, but my track record in this thread is already suspect... but it's worth a shot, right?