Home Technical Talk

IMPROVE WORKFLOW - CHARACTER ARTIST

triangle
Offline / Send Message
BittaSingh triangle
Hello Everybody ,   i need some help  to improve my workflow for character modelling .  i mainly work in zbrush , maya  and substance painter . i will write down  my  workflow   and  then the problems i face  .  if you can help with any of these problems it will be very  helpful  . so  

1 - ( CONCEPT )   so i start by collecting some reference images   for what i want  to make   and start it in zbrush .  i try to get as much details  as possible in this stage only  using dynamesh .   usually i have many subtools   but not crazy high  just around 10 - 15  . once base is finalized i decimate   the meshes and export  them . 

2 -  ( RETOPOLOGY )  so  now i import these decimated meshes in maya  and retopo them using quad draw . i also use  topogun   and  zbrush's  zremesher   sometimes  , depends on the mesh . 

3 - ( UVs )  after retopology i  use maya to make uvs  using uv toolkit  .  i almost  always make multiple UDIMs   . Then I export all the meshes   with uvs  to reproject details in zbrush again . and also save the maya file .

4 - ( REPROJECT DETAILS )   import back all the new meshes  with uvs and proper topology   to  zbrush  and divide them    and project the details back on new meshes .

5 - ( SUPER DETAILING ) now i give all those little little details  like skin pores  , cloth seams and other high end details  .  

6 - ( POLYPAINT )  so this is tricky , i polypaint  to make color id map , which i can use in substance painter .  

7 - ( EXPORT )  now i will export  all the meshes  again both as low and high poly . for high poly  i first decimate them  then export . 

8 - ( RENAME IN MAYA ) import all low and  high poly meshes in maya  and rename them  properly  and use suffix ( _ low and _ high ) . this is done for  sp  .  combine all the low meshes and export them as single object . i use to do same thing with high poly  , but that is not necessary   as i can import multiple meshes  for baking   as long as naming is proper ( i recently find this out  , before that i use to combine the high mesh too , which almost always resulted in maya crashing and  freezing and  wasting my time , which was the main reason i  wrote  this ) .

9 - (  TEXTURE IN SP )  then i import  low mesh  in substance painter    bake   all the maps     and  texture it  too . export all maps  . ( below is not a very good result  , hope this time  i'll make good one )

10 - ( WORK IN MAYA )  in this last step i would  import  and apply the  maps we made in  sp .   and MAKE HAIRS IN XGEN . then render in arnold .  ( below   pic  not rendered in arnold . this is iray  render . this time  i'll render in arnold . )

PROBLEMS  

1 -  ( RETOPOED MESH  CHANGE SIZE )  so this i the first problem i often get . i don't know why   but  when i import the low poly mesh with uvs  that i had made in maya   , its size is reduced . and  weirdly  , some time just re importing it solves the problem   but mostly i have  to export it quite a few time   again from maya and re import in zbrush to get the correct size .  i you know why this happens    please  help .

2 - ( IMPORTING HIGH POLY MESH IN MAYA ) so this problem had wasted so much of my time  because i used to think  i can only use single combined  mesh  as base high mesh for baking  , now i know  i can use seperate  objects  too .   thanks @pmiller001 . but i still have some baking problems  , that ill describe below . 

3 - ( UVS PROBLEM )    don't know why  when i export the high poly mesh from zbrush and import in maya  it  have some trillions of seams . almost like it separates all the polygons , but this generally happens to objects that are duplicated and mirrored . 

4 - (SP  PROBLEMS ) firstly  i am quite new to sp . it  is a wonderful and easy  software  i think  ,  but still you need to study some concepts and things in it for best results  , like masking  and layers they are not that difficult , we all know  photoshop , it is quite familiar .  so my problem here is  when i bake using  match by name   it gives weird results  ( see image below ) i dont know what am doing wrong here   , i mean  when  i use match by always   results  looks still better  ( but those obvious  problems  i do get   because of overlapping and all ) but match by naming  is not working for me . please i need help in this .

5 - ( MAYA PROBLEMS )    

( multiple UDIMS )  so i dont no  what i was doing wrong but  earlier i was working on a project and i could not  load   textures on all udims automatically . ( like you set one map and all other maps will be automatically   loaded )  this  did not worked for me  . had to set all udims manually .

( XGEN PROBLEMS ) xgen is  super cool for  making hairs   but it kinda  gave me below result  when i tried to render using arnold . 

so these are some problems iam getting   hope to get some solutions  and  help,i know this got too long  but i hope  this would help  others  too  .  right now i am working on this model 

http://polycount.com/discussion/196704/cw-flash-barry-allen-sculpt#latest 

and  needed  some help regarding it . please feel free to check and give your crits  on it  . Thank You .

Replies

• BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    ok , i  found out exporting as fbx is better  than obj , when exporting high poly meshes with polypaint data and also other datas  like names groups etc . so  when exporting high meshes for  baking this is good . it worked for me . 
  • D_Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Choi node
    I'm not an expert but I make characters and use same tools. I faced some of similar issues you have If im not misunderstanding, correct me if im getting it wrong :) for when Zbrush export objects with faces detached each other, turn off Grp option in Tool - Export setting. And for baking, I had hard time to find right tool for satisfying outcome for very long time. My suggestion is to use Marmoset or Max's RTT. I'm not a Max user but sometime there is some tools in Max work better than maya, RTT is one of them. I can control cage, check ray miss and correct it very easily. Marmoset does mostly same and faster job so my first attempt is marmoset, but in some situation I have to go Max ( for example, bake other object's normal map to other low poly model). Oh, one good thing about baking in Marmoset is I can put 10M poly and it does the job, so not really have to decimate high poly most of the time.
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    D_Choi said:
    I'm not an expert but I make characters and use same tools. I faced some of similar issues you have If im not misunderstanding, correct me if im getting it wrong :) for when Zbrush export objects with faces detached each other, turn off Grp option in Tool - Export setting. And for baking, I had hard time to find right tool for satisfying outcome for very long time. My suggestion is to use Marmoset or Max's RTT. I'm not a Max user but sometime there is some tools in Max work better than maya, RTT is one of them. I can control cage, check ray miss and correct it very easily. Marmoset does mostly same and faster job so my first attempt is marmoset, but in some situation I have to go Max ( for example, bake other object's normal map to other low poly model). Oh, one good thing about baking in Marmoset is I can put 10M poly and it does the job, so not really have to decimate high poly most of the time.
    yes turning off  Grp worked for me , you are right . and i have never used marmoset  i ll check it , but  right now iam learning substance painter , it is also a very powerful software . and  i dont like working in max , i think ive forgotten to use  it . :) . i have solved baking errors i was getting  with fbx export .  now  ill see what else i get . hope to get a good result  out of it . 
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    also do you use arnold ? what is your rendering workflow ? i want to learn arnold , but last time it did not worked , this time  i want to crack  it .  
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    ok so  someone send me this very informative link for texture baking . it is so good . please have a look at it . 
     http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    yeeee... so i crack the match by name bake  and did  it successfully  .  thank you for your help guys  .

BUT as you can see the error below , it did not pick the vertex color i assigned to high poly meshes , i researched  and found  out that  when exporting it to fbx i have to make sure  that  all vertex have color , like even the white color  has to be painted . so i checked it again  and i am pretty sure there is no vertex without color , but still am not getting any color  . plus  my third  udim  which is of face and half mask  is black . like this  and others are blank . here is a curvature map too if that helps . if iam doing something wrong  please tell me . 
  • D_Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Choi node
    D_Choi said:
    yes turning off  Grp worked for me , you are right . and i have never used marmoset  i ll check it , but  right now iam learning substance painter , it is also a very powerful software . and  i dont like working in max , i think ive forgotten to use  it . :) . i have solved baking errors i was getting  with fbx export .  now  ill see what else i get . hope to get a good result  out of it . 
    Wish I could be help you with substance painter baking but I don't know much of that process. I tried it couple of time but for me just explode mesh and control cage directly always works better. Me as well can't use Max other than RTT but I highly recommend to try it sometime as it saved me in many cases. but I guess the best method is whatever you feel comfortable with :) 
    I guess you try use vertex color to get ID map, I feel bad cuz I can't give you any suggestion in SP but I know I can get ID pretty easy in Marmoset by assigning color material on each mesh and bake diffuse. If you don't like Max, Marmoset baking is super easy, I think I didn't even watched tutorial and figured it out in just few clicks.
     I also learned that almost every time either small or big, some issues is better to fix in Photoshop rather than find perfect bake setting. 
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    @D_Choi thank you for the info  , i will  surely try these  tools . plus i always wanted to see how powerful marmoset is  , i will try that too .
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    so apparently  what i was doing wrong was  i was not changing id source to vertex color  . now its picking the color  .  thanks for the help @pmiller001