Home Career & Education

3d modeling portfolio ?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
what do the industry want to see, as weel what program do they prefer. Im asking with a specific category here
1. Character artist
2. Environment Artist

Also bonus question, do they like to see 2d portfolio in 3d protfolio? If the 2d quality is fairly okay

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    When I went for an interview, I was never asked what my 2D skills were like for a 3D position. They just wanted to see some actual portfolio pieces, asked what programs I'm comfortable with, and then they showed me the current project they were working on and asked me how well could I match their artstyle. 

I think 2D is only worth it if only you can prove you're really good at it at an industry level. Otherwise, it's just going to hold you back and make your portfolio judged twice as hard.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Also remember too show your stuff in-engine, if gaming is the chosen career stream.
  • hegvbwkeuyrv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    by putting stuff in game engine does that prove anything? or do i actually have to show them i can make several material instances in ue4 fox example? Does learning howto use blueprint in ue4 helps an art portfolio in anyway?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Putting your stuff in a game engine proves you can make stuff look good in a video game engine.   And you'll be working for a game engine. A lot.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    by putting stuff in game engine does that prove anything? or do i actually have to show them i can make several material instances in ue4 fox example? Does learning howto use blueprint in ue4 helps an art portfolio in anyway?

Render props and environment sets in marmoset, since that is comparable to UE4 for rendering purposes for the most part.
    Use Unreal 4 material presets for maps outputted from substance.
    Usually if it looks good in Marmoset, it'll good great in Unreal 4
    And you can use the marmoset viewer to display them online too.
    This apply's to both character and environments. I'd suggest starting with small props then focusing your direction on either character/environment art.