Home General Discussion

Anyone else wish Artstation would sort out their search tools?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Chimp interpolator
Would be nice. It was years ago that we got all the category sorting tools for the feeds, but those features never made their way to the search, which I think is basically useless as it stands.

The systems are all there clearly, for the feeds, I'd just like to actually get some use out of the search because right now I just wade through tonnes of work that doesn't really fit what I'm looking for i.e characters when I'm looking for environments, or 3d stuff when I want 2D etc. Being able to at the very least narrow down categories and medium would be grand.

Artstation doesn't have a forum but I figure they might see it here, and gauge interest from anyone here that may also want some improvement there.

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Hm might be misunderstanding, but if you are looking for environments or 3d vs 2d you can filter the feed to specifically only show 3D Environments, or are talking about adding the same filtering for the search function? I do agree that the search function could use some more settings and filters.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    yeah i said the feed has all this stuff, i want it for search - wanted it back when they overhauled the feed tbh, was waiting :P
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yeah true, it would be a good feature for sure, will direct them to this thread.
  • leonardteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leonardteo polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, thanks for the feedback. I've added this thread to our roadmap to investigate, please feel free to discuss. If I'm not mistaken, the issue is that currently, when searching, there's too many irrelevant results and there should be a better way to filter and sort search results. 

Managing expectations, it may be literally months (more likely quarters) before we can look at this. There's just too many priorities right now and we have to focus. I'm very sorry if this makes the site less useful until we do so. It's just the reality of managing such a large platform with limited resources.

This is on the roadmap though, so please continue to discuss and give us more clarity in terms of what search features you'd like.

Thanks, and happy new year.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    @leonardteo

Pretty sure everyone would love to be able to search for something and use the same filters that the trending page has. Right now if you search for something you get everything and you can't filter by subject matter.

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Other then that great suggestions, what about searching the new blog content post? so far it seems that they only way people will notice your new blog post is either when you share them on social media manually or by follower's notification, but then again some people didn't check the notification even there's a red bubble with a number 3k+ notification there haha!

@leonardteo are you guys planing to add something like a trending wall for blog post too in the future? or the search actually catching the blog keywords/ tags?
  • leonardteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel said:
    @leonardteo are you guys planing to add something like a trending wall for blog post too in the future? or the search actually catching the blog keywords/ tags?
    It's something we're definitely  looking into. There's a task for it to be researched. When we launched the blogs we really didn't know what to expect and are pleasantly surprised by how well the take up has been, so it makes sense to have some kind of central place to see all the blogs on the site and from people you're following, etc. There's unfortunately some bugs left over from before the holidays (e.g. social image when sharing to FB is wrong), so we're still stabilizing it. It is still in Beta. 
  • leonardteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 said:
    @leonardteo

Pretty sure everyone would love to be able to search for something and use the same filters that the trending page has. Right now if you search for something you get everything and you can't filter by subject matter.

Got it. Thanks for this suggestion. I've added it to the task description to investigate.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Thank you for responding :) Look forward to it, and thanks for all you've made so far!