Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Genie

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
Hello polycounters, I'm working right now on the character inspired by Olga Samoilova's concept. 

After I finished the speedsculpt, I decided to do PBR head using Substance , cause this soft is new for me and I wanna learn it! So everything started from the head, but right now I want to do whole character and share the process. If you have any questions feel free to ask or just say hi!)

Any crits and comments are welcome! Some fresh screenshots, everything is WIP, head texture is just Base Colored and still not finished with other maps.

Also I did quick overpaint on top of old render to have some silhouette guides. 

Replies

• dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    Progress on the genie, gonna finish his body last stream, tried to do anatomical blockout. Any CC are welcome, especially about anatomy. Have a lot of problems with the hands -_____-
  • SynShenron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SynShenron vertex
    Anatomy looks super cool. How do you get in such clean shape? I struggle with stylization a lot somehow my stuff ends up in the more realistic departement.
  • dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    @SynShenron
    Thank you, but there are a lot of errors aha when I'm looking right now. For blocking I'm using spheres Zremeshed before, and smooth them using Deformation / Smooth and Relax tools + Inflate if needed. Then put everything on the right places following general volume of main muscules that are visible. For muscules I'm using real reference but trying to keep big volumes. 

Check info about Planar structure of the body, or "Face Planes" you will find pictures like this , this should give you general info how to simplify forms, then you need to apply this info to your model. You can find a lot of references for free like that. 

Find this on the Pinterest. 
  • SynShenron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SynShenron vertex
    All right thanks for the breakdown. As for anatomy it does have errors but i still find it kinda fitting and not offputting. The only thing that i kinda find not fitting in is the Serratus Anterior as its kind of overblown.
  • dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    @SynShenron
    You're right , feels like it should be a bit deeper , not so pushed like now. ehehe gonna fix it tomorrow)  Thanks ^^
  • dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    Some progress with Genie, almost finished to refine body, still have some problems with the hands, he goes verrry difficult right now, not sure why, but I'm trying lol, need to finish it definitely. And start to do other plans that i need, especially the heads and probably few studies for the hands, very strange problems here jeeez! Anyway this is a progress as it is) 

Some overpaint to add some details. Thinking about lamp design, cause rounded one looks a bit out of this compos, wanna do it more angled and beveled. The neck will be covered with the cloth cause I made the head already ahahah like 50% and will do body on the different map xD 

Any CC are welcomee!
  • Rambo4you
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rambo4you polycounter lvl 10
    Your doing a great job Olga. I struggle with hands often too. I feel some of your pain. Wait until your going to do low poly of them. Either way ut needs to be done.

I think your doing great in general, but there is room for anatomy improvements. Like the middle stomach muscle is sticking out more then the chest itself. I think you can push that in. Also the back arch is a bit too big.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to your next update.

PS, also really love your 2d stuff that I saw on Instagram :)
  • dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    @Rambo4you
    Hi! Actually I'm not Olga, just inspired by her concept works lol) I like her works too)  

But anyway thanks for the feedback, will fix some proportions soon, wanna finish with assets etc  + thinking about final composition.
  • Rambo4you
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rambo4you polycounter lvl 10
    Ah  sorry Michael (@dllxtt) my bad.

I looked at your Artstation. Your sculpts also look really cool. I like your style. I was a bit surprised that a 2d artist just went on full sculpting with such great results in a short time, but now it all makes sense.

Keep it up!
  • dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    Fresh update today. Working on the body right now, did few studies of the hands and tried to apply it to current character. They looks ugly , still :D but I'm trying. Any CC are welcome, feel free to point me any helpful tips or overpaint. (Sure i'm using references , but feels like need more iterations here) 
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Great styalised anatomy! :smile:
  • dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
  • dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    Back to work on genie, this doesn't look like a lot of progress, but I had tons of problems with the hands, right now they look more like in the same style, gonna move forward now, but any feedbacks are always welcome and will help me a lot)
  • dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks to the feedbacks that I received, changed some body proportions and neck, also repositionned a bit everything and started to develop some assets to the genie, not sure yet how deep I 'll go in details, but right now it's a bet very clean, so obviously I'll add some stuff like scratches and folds etc.
    Thanks to those who
     comment and give feedbacks, this gave tons of improvement! 

• dllxtt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dllxtt polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks to the feedbacks that I received, changed some body proportions and neck, also repositionned a bit everything and started to develop some assets to the genie, not sure yet how deep I 'll go in details, but right now it's a bet very clean, so obviously I'll add some stuff like scratches and folds etc.
    Thanks to those who
     comment and give feedbacks, this gave tons of improvement!