Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old man: A "realistic" approach to real-time rendering.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Koromo polycounter lvl 4
I´ve finished this model few months ago but i wanted to do an overhaul when i´ll upgrade my computer...and nowadays i have the same one so...

At the beginning i was focused only in achieve as much detail as my pc can, but i ended using a quick lowpoly version and -Transfer Atributes-UV. This is why my wireframe is not smoothed and messy in some parts where the original cuts where made.

It was my best effort to do a real-time portrait without referencing anyone in particular and with a huge effort in asymmetric forms. Unfortunately, i was using the old PBR workflow Spec/Gloss with cavity maps instead of the new workflow focused in detail maps/smear maps and much lower resolution as said by Adelle Bueno in GDC 2017: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024410/Achieving-High-Quality-Low-Cost

As typical i have a lot of critics to myself:
-Don´t focus on my own limited knowledge of anatomy, use always references.
-Don´t do a messy low-poly version "after" finishing the original/Zremeshed one.
-Don´t do huge and big tertiary details and use detail tiling maps for microdetails to break the forms and make pores much smaller and realistic.
-Usage of another engine with more capabilites of layering amd mixing textures, especially for combine detail normals.
-Use a much higher degree of SSS and improve eye shading and blending.
-Improve in some way, the shelf shadowing of hair cards, either by light baking or by shadow casting.

For more screenshoots and better quality, check my Artstation:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5qoxO

Replies

• wormo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    looks really great! I think the eyes look a little small to me, or maybe the eyebrow bones don't come out far enough? anyway, really nice work!
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    That's really impressive :o so no actual picture, no real ref for the face??
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    wormo said:
    looks really great! I think the eyes look a little small to me, or maybe the eyebrow bones don't come out far enough? anyway, really nice work!
    A while ago, I did research on centenarians a.k.a people who live for 100 years or more, and one thing I notice that was very common with extreme old age is their eyes did appear very small.

So I guess it's not completely unrealistic, although the OP can mention if it's intentional or not.

Pictured: Oldest woman Jeanne Calment at age 121.
  • Koromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koromo polycounter lvl 4
    JordanN said:
    wormo said:
    A while ago, I did research on centenarians a.k.a people who live for 100 years or more, and one thing I notice that was very common with extreme old age is their eyes did appear very small.

So I guess it's not completely unrealistic, although the OP can mention if it's intentional or not.

Pictured: Oldest woman Jeanne Calment at age 121.
    Yes! With age the eyes tend to be smaller! I don´t know the scientific explanation for the eyes, but there´s a lot of babies that have huge round eyes and when they grow older and the anatomy changes, the eyes tend to be smaller.

In general age progression widens the face especially in the area of the jaw due to flaccidity and a huge sag effect in some areas:

• Koromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koromo polycounter lvl 4
    Olingova said:
    That's really impressive :o so no actual picture, no real ref for the face??
    Thanks! But even i consider this project a challenge for the lack of references related to the typical famous actor or a bunch or references for defining a final work i choose only one, the bare minimum.

I didn´t consider it even a good reference, the photo is tilted a little bit, B&W, super focused on the little/tertiary details, it´s almost a macro of this old man that i don´t know who is...
    And this reference don´t tell me enough information to fill side views, back views, hair, clothes and so.
    Only tells me, huge nose,  huge ears, pretty wide jaw(it´s a macro portrait so it´s common) slighty smaller eyes in comparison to the general rule and... some white hairs.
    As i wanted to do an old type of human, focused mostly on asymetry with kind of "Warm", but "Sad" feeling i choose that as the main idea.