Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Phoenix Xayah

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
fishsnack polycounter lvl 3
Final Beauty-Image:

Hi :),

I want to give it a try and join this contest. I am going to create Xayah with a phoenix skin (or infernal but phoenix sounds better for her :-P).

I was looking for proper references and these are my moodboards:

I am not the best concept artist, so I used a reference as background and made an overpaint to get the proportions right. At the end I came up with three ideas. I already added those orange highlights because I want them to be the main focus in the final skin. Everything is wip not final.

A is a more athletic and modern version of Xayah. I think Xayah will work also very well without her hoodie so I left it. I like the simplicity in this version. When I give the suit a dark color and her wings a red it will pop up really great I guess. But I think it is too far away from the original Xayah.
B is a more elegant version. The bracelet, the "lower leg band" (I don't know if there is an english word for?! :D), the nailcaps and the belt would be golden. I also left her hoodie here.
C is the wild and untamable version. It's the closest one to the original design of Xayah in my opinion. But I think the detail is too high for a MOBA game character, I should reduce that for a better readability in-game.

I prefer B and C but would love to hear what you think and what I could improve. :)

Next steps are some face concepts.

Replies

• Keyla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keyla triangle
    I really like B and C too! I like C the most. I like the silhouette it gives her and her outfit. I can't wait to see what you come up with next :)
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Keyla! I will mix the best of B and C now and look how it get out :). I also like the silhouette of C more.

I made some face concepts. What do you think of them? Which do you like the most or should I keep the face like it is already? C&C are welcome!

And a breakdown for those who are interested. I used one of the references as background for the outlines again.

• Technoir06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technoir06 polycounter lvl 2
    I love the design of the character you made and the theme for the skin, it will be fantastic: D
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Technoir06 :) !

Here is my modelsheet for the front with her base body and her final look.

Next I will discover the color pattern and colorize her.
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the color scheme I will use. I have to try out how I can get some more details with texturing like adding some seams and/or ornaments but I have to figure that out on the 3d model later.

I left the highlights for now because I will add them on top of this base texture. At the end I intend to add some emissive fire details on her wing feathers, ear tips and legs. I could imagine them to get (more) visible when she uses her abilities. :)
    Her interaction when she buys guardian angel could also be something like: "From the ashes we will rise!". That would be awesome haha :D.

Anyway, next I will draw the back view modelsheet and than I finally start modeling :).

C&C are welcome!

• fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the back view modelsheet of her.

I was struggeling with the roots of the neck feathers. I could not find a good looking way how they can get sticked there. Now my solution is a collar that consists out of a lot smaller feathers and the big feathers lay on top of it, so their roots are hidden inside the collar. I hope that will work out well at the end.

Now I will start sculpting her head and base body :).
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My current state. Still a lot to do ...

C&C are welcome!!!

• fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not the fastest one, should sculpt a lot more ^^. Anyway, ears are done I guess :)

C&C are welcome.

• fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no update. Here is her body. Need a few tweaks but should only be the base for her clothes in the end.

C&C welcome.

• fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started blocking out her clothes in Maya.

• fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final blockout with feathers. From left to right: handfeather, three collar feathers and two wing feathers. My plan is to reuse the same feather over again with some resizing and tweaking to save UV space in the end. That's why they are still seperated.
    I will finalize the meshes now back again in ZBrush.

C&C are welcome!

• fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Beauty render of the final high-poly.
    Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and wish you all a Happy New Year :smile:
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Edited her face and legs again to get her looking more like the original Xayah.

Here are also a quick in-game overlay of the high-poly and her top view silhouettes. Wings and feathers are going to be added later.

I'll start with the low-poly now and hope I can finish her in time :/.

C&C are welcome! :smile:
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the lowpoly and baking :smile:

Here you can see the lowpoly with a Lambert shader assigned plus a wireframe.

After baking the highpoly textures and doing a lot of cleaning, I put them together and this is how it looks flat shaded:

Here is a breakdown of all the baked textures I used on top of flat base colors.

I am actually really happy how the baking turned out.

What do you think? C&C are welcome!
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. C&C welcome! :smile:

• fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next small update. C&C are welcome!

• fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Decided to give her eyes yet. Makes her more personable somehow. Texturing is mostly finished. C&C are still welcome!

• fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is the final texture. Like I said in the concept stage already I would love to see the emissive highlights get visible when she uses her abilities. That's why I separated the emission here. Here is her base texture:

And this is the texture with the emission on:

Didn't checked the texture on the map background so far. I think I still have to change it slightly, so it matches in the end.

Would love to hear what you think. :smile:
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick ingame comp and value check.

• Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking cool! But as I understand it this is to be flat lit which means no emissive.

Theres no reason you cant have the effect you want though, just use the mask for the emissive as a mask to change the hue/colour dodge your existing texture in photoshop :) I'd also suggest baking a top-down gradient map (or if you already have one then push it further)
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Jarran, thanks for your comment.
    It's already only a flat lid texture. I created two textures (with and without highlights) which one could switch between. I guess the word emission was misleading because it is normally related to shader sorry :blush: In fact I created the highlights using your method.

I definitly try to push the top-down gradient map, thanks for the tip.
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a "quick" rig for posing and created two poses with it for the final presentation.

This is the standard in-game pose:

And an action pose:

What do you think? C&C are welcome! :smile:

I also increased the top down gradient map by 20%.
  • SpiritHide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpiritHide polygon
    This is cool! GJ!
  • fishsnack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @SpiritHide for the nice comment!

So this is my last post and final submission!

I also uploaded the model on sketchfab:

model

Even though the interest in my thread wasn't soooo much, I still hope someone liked it and found it helpful someway :smile:. Thanks to everyone who left me a comment and gave me some suggestions! I myself definitly learned a lot during the last three month and that's all what matters to me. As well as get it done :D.

I hope everyone else will make their submission in time and wish you all best luck in the competition!

Cheers! :smile: