Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Project: Jinx

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
sstoev polycounter lvl 2
Since I saw the contest a couple of weeks ago, my initial ideas was to create a Project Vi skin. But we all know that this skin came out a few days ago, so what a coincidence hehehe However, I don't want to do similar thing so I  chose to give a project skin to another one of my favourites, the other rebel - Jinx.
With this project I am aiming to improve a little bit in hard surface and hand painted texturing process. Another side goal is to do the low polygon modelling in Maya, which I am not very experienced in.
I still remember regretting that I couldn't take part into the last one, so this time we are ready, lets have some fun and make some good stuff :) stay tuned I will upload some concepts soon :)

Current progress:

Replies

• liemnguyenart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liemnguyenart interpolator
    Wooo a project skin! Can't wait to see!
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
  • sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Hey Guys! Thank you for the support @liemnguyenart and @jmiles !
    Had lots of fun designing this one, and here are the first rough thumbnails! Going for this futuristic style of fashion that is coming from Asia. I think it will really fit the theme and we can already see some of the elements in other LoL skins. Anyway, I am pretty happy with the char designs so far, just need to chose and refine one. However, for the weapons I will need your help guys, really struggled to come up with good design, they are kind of weakness of mine :D Even with that, I still had lots of fun with the design stage and have a few ideas already. Main ones - pow-pow and fishbones are nearly done, still need to do the zap, chomppers and the SMDRocket :D
    Anyways here are the designs, c&c will be greatly appreciated at this stage!!! Thank you :)

• Keyla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keyla triangle
    Very cool concepts & sketches, good job!!
  • sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Than you @Keyla !
    The past couple of days I was working on refining and choosing my final designs. I will use these concepts as my main ones, but during the creation process, the design might change a little bit, it really depends how she will look in 3D. Anyways, this stage was much more fun that I expected, moving my rusty brain a little bit and coming up with a some cool designs, hehehehe ... Next stage colour schemes and jumping in 3D. Cheers !!
  • sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys! I finally jumped in 3D and started blocking some of the main elements. I also focused on keeping the clean topology at the same time. Here is a WIP shot, please tell me what you think guys ^^

• sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Worked a bit more today, focusing mainly to give her that Jinx likeness. Pretty happy with the direction that I am going, there are a few things that I still need to tweak tho. Also, managed to do a quick colour scheme. Feel free to tell me what you think :)

• sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    I have started refining the elements that were just blocked in. Managed to work on her face, jacket, shorts and reworked her mech arm, since I wasn't feeling the previous one fits her. A few more things left to be finalised and I will start her weapons.

• jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    So far I think your details are coming in a little too small and tight, and they read a bit noisy and crispy.  There are a lot of fine lines and details running across her surface and those details will get lost if they were in game-- for example-- the line details that go across her medial obliques-- the horizontal pattern-- they will read better if they were larger and fewer spaces between the sections.  As would go for the muscle shape armor in her legs-- I'd recommend fewer impressionistic muscle groups and softer lines w/ just enough readability so that we know she has prosthetic legs, but they don't overpower the majority of the shape.  Also, I'd recommend thickening up her skirt.  One thing that helps me a lot is to zoom out from your work, in Zbrush, Photoshop (or otherwise) to see if there is a good balance of details from big to small.  Keep up the good work man-- this is looking really fun and I look forward to seeing more!
  • TouijriHamza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TouijriHamza vertex
    This is really quite the original take on JINX , i'm impressed ! but maybe a slight issue as i don't really recognise jinx in this ! so hoping to see the work in progress to the evolution of her ! good luck
  • sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    @jmiles and @TouijriHamza thank you for the feedback!
    This is my first time in stylised characters and I am still not used to the details scale, but I am trying! I scaled and inflated most of the elements as well as polished them so no hard edges! However, I've noticed that the project skins are not like the other leaguer skins, they are quite detail dense (Lucian, Kata, Fiora and etc.). I've merged some of the muscles shapes and increased the distance between them, together with that I enlarged some of the main lines and features for better readability.
    This is a WIP of the high poly and I am pretty much done with her, might do some smaller corrections later, I also made a basic colour scheme(saturation of the pink and the blue will probably change later). More c&c are welcome ^^ Now I will probably start the weapons.

• Art1ficer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Art1ficer polycounter lvl 2
    This is nice! Like your take on her! My humble tips: Jinx is "Punk hazard" character, so she often utilize more vibrant color scheme, even in her most "calm" skins http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Jinx?file=Jinx_Mafia_Screenshots.jpg At the time your main color is gray, which is ok for realistic character, but as we have diffuse only, this may come really tricky. Another small suggestion - "Project" skins commonly have some sort of mask on character face, maybe add some cracked for her - it'll suit her character imo :smile: Overall really like your progress! Keep it up!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Gotta agree with what most people have been saying already, there is definitely something missing in the design. it really doesn't scream jinx unfortunately. 
  • sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Allright I took a couple of days off from this project and when I came back to it I just saw how much you are right guys. I feel I got stuck with a few ideas in my head (like the prosthetic legs and arm) and didn't want to explore more. So I went back to the other project skins a looked even closer. In a result of that I completely reworked the legs and the mech arm with much larger and readable shapes. I also added a mask, thank you for that @Artificer! Worked on the face, overall details and proportion adjustments and of course I changed her hair-style, so now I think she feels much more like Jinx. Please do tell me what you think guys! Cheers for the good crit and the advises!
    P.S. - I've started working on the weapons block-in, stay tuned!

• yararstss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    How did I not see this before? :o Amazing design. It improved a lot with the latest update, congrats. You considered putting on the hair the same transparent effect that carries the cover of the Ashe Project? Maybe a gradient efect like that would be great. Anyway, good stuff you have here. :D 
  • sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    @yararstss thank you! Yes, this is exactly what my idea is - a hologram effect, atm they are just place holders for the silhouette ;)
    Today I managed to finish the block-in stage of her weapons. Still not completely sure about the design, it just feels too busy. Some weapon design advises will be of great help!! thanks :)

• sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Just a small update! The past couple of days I have been working on the clean-up of her mini-gun. Main form and elements are done, now I need to add the secondary details.
    P.S. 98% is made in Zbrush and it is more time consuming that I though, however good practise with polygon modelling in Zbrush :D