Home Adobe Substance

Low poly showing through in substance painter??

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Isiktor vertex
I have had this problem before where my low poly that I made with uv in 3d max is showing through my model in substance painter after baking. 
I am wondering what would be the best fix?
I dont have a cage on it and dont know really what a cage can do
Also the low poly is about 5k but I have seen others that are the same count and look just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 
Thanks

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    It looks like you didn't properly weld the mesh and/or UV verts before baking. Could also have to do with your smoothing groups or Max export settings.
  • Isiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isiktor vertex
    Could you go into a little more detail of those and how to fix them? 
    I will look into it also and get back after
  • Isiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isiktor vertex
    I fixed the low poly showing through by turning off the smoothing groups 
    Thanks 
    The next thing through that my detail made in zbrush like skin detail seems blurred or low res 
    What would be the best way to fix this??

Thanks 
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The first image says the texture maps are 2048x2048. If that is the case, then Photoshop says you've only used roughly 256x256 pixels (or less) for the actual face based on your current UV arrangement. That means you've almost dedicated more pixels to the Adam's Apple than you have the eyes, nose, and mouth. 

There's only so much detail those few pixels can hold. 

I'd consider redoing the UVs in order to dedicate more than 1/64 th of the head's texture to such an important focal point.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
  • Isiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isiktor vertex
    I see what you are saying. I somtimes forget that I am not going to be that close to my model. It just hurt seeing all the detail in zbrush being dumbdown. I will redo the UV and get back when that is down ( I hate doing UV also retopo) :neutral:
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "I will redo the UV and get back when that is down ( I hate doing UV also retopo)"

Well, unwrapping a face model like that can be done cleanly in a matter of ... a few minutes. Look at any professionally built head model for reference, place your seams the same way, click pelt/unwrap, rearrange things a bit, done. This takes about 10 minutes to do. If you say you "hate" doing this, that probably just means that you need to research and learn about the topic further, because this is as mindless and straightforward as it gets really :)

• Isiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isiktor vertex
    "Well, unwrapping a face model like that can be done cleanly in a matter of ... a few minutes. Look at any professionally built head model for reference, place your seams the same way, click pelt/unwrap, rearrange things a bit, done. This takes about 10 minutes to do. If you say you "hate" doing this, that probably just means that you need to research and learn about the topic further, because this is as mindless and straightforward as it gets really :)"

I did found out how to fix my model with re working the uv and yes uv work has always been a difficult thing for me same with hair cards. I looked around for a couple hours trying to find one video that wasnt a uv blender or maya one lol