Home Technical Talk

Charachter making progress : need a solution for this problem

MujtabaYousuf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
Helo guys
I posted a thread in which i asked multiple questions regarding game charachter workflow. Someone said to me that I should post a new thread with the progress and ask questions mid way, so here I go. 
^This is the character i am trying to build. I modeled basemesh in blender. So my problem is how should i go for adding fingers?? It seems difficult to me :/ 
thanks everyone

Replies

• MisterWolfen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterWolfen polycounter lvl 8
    Hi @MujtabaYousuf
    Let's start off by getting a few questions out of the way so I know what we're trying to accomplish
    1. What's your end goal? do you have a concept you're working off or are you just winging it?
    2. Do you have any examples of previous work you could show me, just so I know the level you're at :)
  • MisterWolfen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you'd rather just keep working on this piece i'd highly recommend you;

First, use reference images, don't be afraid to get a bunch of images to use as reference to achieve better proportions in your work. A good way to use reference in ZBrush is to overlay them onto the mesh so you can get things exact, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of things!

I recommend for you to just google stuff like "male orthographic view" or male front view. Don't only get front view, make sure with reference that you get enough angles, when doing a body you should get front, side, and back views. Don't forget that you're working in 3D, so even if something looks good from one angle, when you rotate the mesh, things might start to look weird

How to use image reference in ZBrush

1. Find a reference image that you want to use, the best reference images you can use should be clean and extremely easy to see, the better your reference, the better time you'll have.

2. Click on the 'Draw' menu, and go down to the section highlighted in the picture, this is where you can modify the XYZ planes in ZBrush and change what they display.

3. For example: If you want to show a reference of your front view, click on 'Front-Back', and you'll see a new sub menu

4. This is where you can assign the texture you want as the reference, click on Map1, then Import, and find the reference you want to use, change around the settings until you're happy with them and the reference looks good

5. Do the same for the other angles you want reference for, and use the images as a guide for your sculpt or model

This technique will hopefully be an immense help, especially for a beginner, if you have any more questions, post them and i'll try to help!
  • MisterWolfen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for sculpting fingers, i found this gem in a demonstration by a Riot Games Character artist, at 10:30 he just uses a simple rectangle, bends it by masking off areas (CTRL + clicking and dragging over the parts you don't want to move), and rotating them to create fingers, after that he just moves them into position. Be aware his method is for making fairly stylized fingers but you can use the same technique to make realistic ones too.

Another way to make fingers is to mask off the hand, then leave a circle where you want the finger to come from, and pull the fingers out with the move tool, this method might be a little easier, but is harder to manage. Hope this helped  B)
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
    Hi @MujtabaYousuf
    Let's start off by getting a few questions out of the way so I know what we're trying to accomplish
    1. What's your end goal? do you have a concept you're working off or are you just winging it?
    2. Do you have any examples of previous work you could show me, just so I know the level you're at :)
    Hey @MisterWolfen my end goal is juSt to make a game character. I am quit experienced with lowpoly models and Uv unwrapping. Now I am dedicating my time on this model to be completely game ready. Also want to learn normal map baking.
    I will look into some ref images as you mentioned( I used a ref image for basemesh). Also thankj for answering the question.
    Now at this point I will surely add some more screen shots as I progress. 
    My next question is : What should I do at this point? should I zeremesh then dynaesh or keep working with dynamesh and then subdivide as I want to add further details?? 
  • kanga
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You can go this way by using dynamesh. It works really well for experienced artist who are busy with character development. For those starting out, not so much. The limitation with this technique is not being able to go up and down with sub division levels which is really handy when beginning. Here is a Brinko style figure I put together with a combo of zspheres and remodeling in 3dsmax. Its a wireframe based on Zack Petroc's base mesh:

Zack has a really nifty setup for fingers and toes.
    If you are in love with dynamesh you can insert hands using the human body parts insert mesh brush in ZBrush. You will need a pretty dense mesh to keep the fingers seperate when re-dynameshing though. You can help that along by spreading the fingers  before re-dynameshing.

Cheerio
  • MisterWolfen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MujtabaYousuf
    When working with a sculpt, generally you stay in dynamesh for a while, and only really move on when you are totally happy with the proportions, and have sculpted a moderate-to-high amount of detail.

Generally you want to sculpt in stages, the first being dynamesh, and once the major landmarks in the sculpt are ready, then you make a subdivided version

You do that by:
    1. duplicating your dynamesh
    2. then using Zremesher you remesh the duplicated mesh down to a lower poly count, for a body around 5000polys is a good sweet spot.
    3. Next, subdivide up 3-5 times
    4. Now we use the ProjectAll feature, with project, you take the detail from one object and copy it over to the other (Even though it started from the same mesh, it lost detail from remeshing)

5. Make the subdivided mesh your selected subtool, and hide everything except that and the dynamesh
    6. Now, while on the highest subdivision, click ProjectAll, and all the detail from the dynamesh will transfer over

Done! Now you have a mesh that has nice poly-flow, and has subdivision levels

Like i said before, you only go to this stage when you know you're finished with dynamesh, if you want to dynamesh again, you'll have to repeat this process
  • MisterWolfen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This video was really helpful for me, and kind of cleared up any misconceptions i had about dynamesh and ZRemesher. Really helps set the workflow out in pre-defined steps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8t-SV8rU8o&t=2s