Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Heavy Horse

SimonScribbles
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
SimonScribbles polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, been awhile since I posted a project for myself. I've got a scene i'd like to make of a heavy horse pulling a Ladened cart in winter. So to get started I thought i'd go for what i thought would be the hardest part. The horse. It's actually a lot of fun working on this. But the horses legs are very difficult to sculpt correctly. 

If anyone has any critique please feel free to tell me! 

Replies

• SimonScribbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonScribbles polycounter lvl 6
    Worked a bit more on the horse and got it to a stage where I decided to try baking it down to a low poly form. Here is the end result. Started to make some planes around the ankles as well now to make the hair.

Here is the low-poly I made for the horse. Tried to keep the poly count under control as the game this would be used in is meant to run on Microsoft Surface tablets. 

• Ithronyar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ithronyar polycounter lvl 2
    Having modeled a few horses (and knowing how difficult it can be), this looks pretty good! My only critique is the nostrils: They look a little odd here: https://imgur.com/GozPpaB.png

It's hard to pinpoint why it looks wrong to me, so here's a roughly similar angle of a real horse's nose:

That said, if the model is only going to be viewed at distance on a tablet, there's no practical reason to modify the high-poly mesh. That's for you to decide. :)
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
    I would square out the muzzle a bit. Rounded mouths look bovine. Horses have pretty planar mouths.