Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Houdini with UE4, Assets for level building

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
siver greentooth
Hi,

I'm currently working with Houdini and making assets for UE4.
The Goal of this project is to build levels faster. Once you have the Houdini assets you are able to build levels faster and with more control.
So far I have a Level generator that builds a level around a spline. The spline can be controlled in UE4 and there are parameters to get some control over the placement of the models.
Also making some other assets that are helping to build levels.
Such as a Grass generator for any surface , an ivy generator ,  a Cable tool and a pipe tool. 

Any feedback is welcome.

Some scene i made quick with these tools ( in just a few hours)

Screenshot of Houdini assets in UE4

Replies

• sainarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sainarayan null
    These look great! 
    The pipe assets in particular have some really nice features and the lighting on them looks good too. 

I think you might be able to improve your interior corridor sections by adding a little more color contrast or lighting variations to them, but you might be saving that for a future pass.

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    HDA stuff looks really awesome. Are you using 'find shortest path' for the vines? How quick does it update?

• siver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siver greentooth
    @sainarayan Thanks for the feedback. I will make some changes on the corridor. A few days ago I also changed somethings in the scenes. Added blue lights to lamps. (Houdini placing it automatically to a lamp)  AO is too high in first picture. 

@Progg Thanks! Yes,  I use a Find shortest path node. First I remesh the object you want Ivy on. Then make group selections for start and end points. The update time can be quick (about 4 seconds in the gif). It depends on the remesher. Remeshing it to too high will have long wait times. Remesh size is then also a parameter in the asset.

• sainarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sainarayan null
    Niiice, already looking much better.  :o

I've started getting the hang of Houdini, wanna get to a point where I can do cool stuff with HDAs like that ivy asset, that looks so useful! 
  • siver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siver greentooth
    @sainarayan thanks! Good luck with Houdini. I'm also a new to Houdini.

Here is a video about the assets. The video is a quick overview of the assets. I was limited to a video around 2 min.
    https://vimeo.com/241885018

I'm thinking about putting the hda files on gumroad.
  • siver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siver greentooth
    Here is a link to Gumroad if you want to test out the assets. https://gum.co/VfoiS

I recently tried to make some spritesheets to make Particles in Unreal Engine 4.

Any feedback is welcome.