Home Technical Talk

Import/Export between Maya 2018 and Zbrush4R7

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
I am trying to import an .fbx file created in Maya 2018 into Zbrush4R7 but get an error code: -1.
Can't find any information about this particular error code online. 

I tried exporting the same model as a Maya ascii, binary, and OBJ format, but Zbrush can't seem to find the files. I click IMPORT in the tool menu, navigate to the directory containing my model, but it's not there -- as if Zbrush has some issue seeing things created by Maya 2018?

I have read that there is issues between Arnold and Zbrush, but everything I read only related to the GoZ plugin, which I am not using.

Any experience that might help?

For now I am going to try out Maya 2015 as I've read that that was the last version which supported GoZ, but I really hate to jump through so many different programs. I like the features of 2018 and would like to keep using that as my primary 3d app. Any help is really appreciated.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:

I figured out how to connect GoZ to Maya 2018. After some messing around, I got Zbrush to successfully export to Maya, but not the other way around. I use the GoZ shelf with my mesh selected in Maya, don't get any errors or anything, but nothing changes in Zbrush.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:

I got things working between Maya 2015 abd Zbrush4R7. For posterity, here is what I did:

Brought maya scene file from 2018 into 2015. Saved it in 2015 as a new Binary file. Tried to use GoZ, got multiple error messages, tried to export as fbx, got error messages, finally when I tried to import as an fbx in Zbrush it magically worked.

Who knows. Just keep pushing buttons.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But the question remains -- are there any pro's out there who work with the latest versions of Maya and Zbrush? If so, how do you get the two programs to communicate with each other?