Home Adobe Substance

[Solved] Overlapping shapes in SD - Height details to normal issue

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
mine polycounter lvl 3
Hi,

I am working on candy corn material for Halloween :)

I have some problems with overlapping pieces. For now, I've created 2 patterns, blended them together with max lighten to put one of the patterns on top. It looks all right. But when I plug this node into normal with high intensity, intersections get visible. How is it possible to keep normals clean like in here?

Any tips or tricks for overlapping shapes?

Thank you,
M.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    when you add the greys together you get a value bigger than one which you can't see but is read by the normal node. 

the colour version of tilesampler supports alpha which you can use to mask the shapes out - alternatively you could make a pixel processor that clamps the values. 
  • mine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mine polycounter lvl 3
    lol, can't believe it was that simple. Thank you poopipe! :D

• mine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mine polycounter lvl 3
    Haha, I just saw Allegorithmic has tweeted this material.

Great work! how did you make the jelly beans not to get into each other?

Thanks Vinícius! Ive basically layered them up. Each layer is a tile sampler node and I tried to tile them in a way where none of the beans touch. I then blended each of the layers on top of each other which eventually gives the impression of a pile. To stop each layer blending into one another I clamped the height values of each layer so there was no crossover in their greyscale values. E.g the top layers values were clamped between 1.0 and 0.7, the layer below was clamped at 0.7 to 0.5, and so on.

Awesome work indeed :)