Home Career & Education

Where should I learn 3D character design?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
proto93 polycounter lvl 4
I started working on 3D in general about a month ago and finished this image before deciding to specialize with character design.

I know this is super bad but I am very proud of it. Like I said earlier I am only in month 2 so I have literally no idea what I am doing. I am a huge overwatch fan and want to start making stylized characters like this. Heck characters in general I would be happy with. I have been looking at CGMA to learn about characters. https://3d.cgmasteracademy.com/programs/character-arts-program-updated/

Is this a good place to start? I have learned the basics of substance painter, maya, zbrush, marmoset, and topogun via udemy courses but I want to go more industry level quality.

Where should I learn and what are some good learning habits you could recommend for me?

Thank you for your time.

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    The most important things ive learned were fine art skill. Literally all technical skills i learned on my own. Learning how to observe is also very important. I'd recommend Scott Eatons anatomy for artists course, it helped me immensely. Obviously there are a bunch of anatomy books out there, so check those out. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Go learn your fine art foundations.  Figure drawing, still-life, painting, perspective, drawing.

Even if it's a cheap class nearby, take it.  This is stuff that stays with you forever.
  • proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proto93 polycounter lvl 4
    Go learn your fine art foundations.  Figure drawing, still-life, painting, perspective, drawing.

Even if it's a cheap class nearby, take it.  This is stuff that stays with you forever.
    So I should take these even though I want to learn 3D character design?

The most important things ive learned were fine art skill. Literally all technical skills i learned on my own. Learning how to observe is also very important. I'd recommend Scott Eatons anatomy for artists course, it helped me immensely. Obviously there are a bunch of anatomy books out there, so check those out. 
    I will take a look into this. Thank you. Do you have any other advice?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Yes, especially if you can fit it in right now.
    I got really lucky and was able to burn a lot of those hours during uni, so I wouldn't have to spend those initial chunks of time later on.

There's something to be said about a 3D Character artist that already knows basic figure drawing, gesture, anatomy, and fine art theory.  You'll be a better communicator, have better control over your craft, and be able to critically think past "this looks cool."