Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Suitcase - FINISHED!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JKNori polycounter lvl 8
Hi there!

I'm currently working on a small prop which will be part of a full environment. It is an old suitcase of which is found within a abandoned train. Currently, I'm working on the suitcase's shape.

Reference I'm working from:

Constructive criticism and feedback is welcome!

Cheers!

Jack

Replies

• JKNori
    Offline / Send Message
    JKNori polycounter lvl 8
    UPDATE:

Finished the majority of the basic model and detailing. Now onto working on the high poly.

Render Shot:

Constructive criticism and feedback is welcome!

Stay tuned for more!
    Cheers!

- Jack

• JKNori
    Offline / Send Message
    JKNori polycounter lvl 8
    Hello again!

I've finished the suitcase's model and textured it.

C&Cs are appreciated!

Cheers,
    Jack
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Something doesn't feel right.
    The suitcase is way too matte. I imagine a suitcase would have more reflections because they're typically made of leather, cloth or plastic. Same goes for those stickers. They usually have a plastic coating on top. Only beat up detail like grime, dirt & dust should look rough, and thus give a better contrasting image.

In the current lighting setup you have right now, I can hardly see any of the bump mapping either even though your texture map has a lot of noise. I recommend using 3 point lighting or a high resolution IBL.

Also might want to check your albedo values. The only materials that should be really dark/close to black is stuff like coal or rubber.

• JKNori
    Offline / Send Message
    JKNori polycounter lvl 8
    JordanN said:
    Something doesn't feel right.
    The suitcase is way too matte. I imagine a suitcase would have more reflections because they're typically made of leather, cloth or plastic. Same goes for those stickers. They usually have a plastic coating on top. Only beat up detail like grime, dirt & dust should look rough, and thus give a better contrasting image.

In the current lighting setup you have right now, I can hardly see any of the bump mapping either even though your texture map has a lot of noise. I recommend using 3 point lighting or a high resolution IBL.

Also might want to check your albedo values. The only materials that should be really dark/close to black is stuff like coal or rubber.

Thanks for the criticism. I've had a look into it and I've changed it for the better.

I've updated the suitcase (modelling and texture wise) and I really hope you like my updated version:

Any C&C's are welcome,

Jack